Light-O-Rama Forums

USB 485

overeazy

Not I big problem I don't think but hooked my three usb 485's up to the pc in my office yesterday and the came up like the last time I had the showing running,  comm ports 6, 7. and 8.  Turn the laptop off and move it where I will be running my shows from to check out my boxes, hook the usb's back up and now they show comm ports 4, 5, and six.  I am fine if that is where they want to run from and will just have to go back and change the network preferences in my sequences.  I thought that once you selected a comm port for the USB it would always be that.  Anyone know what is going on?

Windows and USB ports is a bit funny.  With the older versions of Windows, you could pretty much guarantee that any time you plugged a USB device into a different port or rebooted (and sometimes even unplugged the device and plugged it back into the same USB port) the port number MIGHT change.  Newer versions of Windows have dramatically improved that.  However it will still sometimes end up different - particularly if plugging into a different USP port or different USB hub.  Very annoying.  It should stay the same in the show location as long as you don't move ports around.  My show computer reboots every day and none of the three RS-485 adapters have moved on me in several years.

I am running windows 8.  It could be that I plugged the usb's into different ports and that is why it changed them.  And when the shows are running I leaving that pc alone and its only used for the shows so once it is set I don't anticipate any problems.  Think when I have a little free time I might try switching what ports they are plugged into and see if that changes them.

• The topic was locked