Light-O-Rama Forums

PE Prop defininition - custom or matrix?

dfluke

In short, my matrix is made up of 2 panels of  25 50 node ws2811 strings.

These are wired from the bottom left to go up 50 nodes, join, and down 50 nodes for a 100 node string.

This works great, except for the part where the last odd string is only 50 nodes.

I need these to be 2 panels for re-usability and storage. The entire thing physically is 6 feet wide by 12 feet tall, making the overall assembled structure 12x12. I'm using 2 controllers for ease of assembly (and so I don't have tons of power injection)

For those with experience sequencing with the PE and/or SuperStar (not sure I need Super Star yet) the default prop definition allows for a snake pattern with a joined string option, but then I'm stuck at the end.  
I can't find a way to make the last string end at 150 channels (50 nodes) and then start up again on a new universe for the 14th defined string of 100.

Hopefully I've explained that well enough.

I don't want to join the one on the end with the first on the second panel because I want to be able to split them up for stage left and stage right use off season. For the Christmas season, these would be placed side by side 3" apart to make a giant matrix.

I saw there was a custom option, but not sure if that's the best way to go about things.

Lastly, to make matters more confusing, I had this all defined in the visualizer, but then read that it is better to use the PE to create props like a matrix because of something about importing from the vizualizer as lines and not as a matrix.

Any advice for this first time PE user?

Looking a bit more, it appears that odd numbered matrixes are just not going to work well, and the custom prop definition is tricky.

I may research editing xml or text by hand for the definitions if possible

I set my matrix up using custom prop.  I have over 3800 pixels in mine and I built it with the same ideas as you for storage and splitting it into smaller panels if necessary.  What I did was set up a numbering set in Excel in the same pattern as how the pixels layout on the panels and then copy and paste it into PE. It was easier to use the 1+previous cel formula vs sitting there counting to 4000.  Now I'm only using 1 controller (Pixcon 16) so breaking up a universe on 2 outputs was not an issue.  I originally tried to do it using 2 controllers, but in the end found it was easier to assign pixels using just one.

Here's a photo of what I ran into. I'm not sure why the software is behaving this way. I guess I don't fully understand the carryover very well, or why that last universe definition is off by one value.

Either way, solving this problem was just easier adding a pixel string and using the default prop shapes vs custom matrix.

pe_dmx_customprop.png

failed to mention that the 7000 range definition would be the example of my odd 50 node string vs the 100 node strings. For simplicity I didn't enter in all the values yet that would define the entire matrix.

On your screen shot I have both boxes on the upper right unchecked and a max channel set to 510.  I'm not sure what controller you are using or how many outputs it has as this will help determine how it is set up as well.  I am using 16 outputs so each strand is around 230 pixels or so with plenty of power injections.  I have a total of 8 panels each with it's own power supply and using 2 outputs.

I ended up adding a string to my matrix to make it even. Just easier that way. 

On a secondary matrix I was able to use the custom and get the universes to line up properly with the number sequence 1,2, and then 1001, 1002...