Light-O-Rama Forums

Same old issue

Mike G

I posted my issue before and still have not had it resolved. A while ago I downloaded the LOR 2 gamma upgrade and could not get it to install. I kept getting "please wait while windows configures Light-O-Rama" If I hit the cancel button about 15 or so times the sequencer will start, then if I try to open a sequence it pops up the same installer window all over again! I reinstalled LOR 1 so I could run my Christmas show. Now that I am planning for 2008, I once again tried to upgrade to LOR 2. I saved the installer file to my LOR directory and the install seemed to work. However, when I open the sequence editor I get the same installer window that will only go away after about 15 or 20 clicking of the cancel button. What am I missing here? I sure would like to use the new features of LOR 2 for my next season. I have XP Home with SP2 installed.

Did you try to download the upgrade again? Maybe the first one got corrupted.
I created a new folder LOR II and saved the file there. Then ran it and installed in a new folder. The first time I ran it it had some error messages. I re-downloaded and the install worked fine.

Scott

It sounds like the install (thinks it completes) then when you go to run the Sequence Editor you get that message, correct?

Can you run the Control Panel, Show Editor .... but not the Sequence Editor?

It will load the control panel, but if I try to open the show editor, hardware utility, or any of the other menu items i get the installer popup again. In between attempts at upgrading, I did use a registy cleaner in case I had a problem with a registry entry, but I still cannot get a clean install.

Mike G wrote:

It will load the control panel, but if I try to open the show editor, hardware utility, or any of the other menu items i get the installer popup again. In between attempts at upgrading, I did use a registy cleaner in case I had a problem with a registry entry, but I still cannot get a clean install.

Do you install in the default folders? Sorry for all the questions but I am not sure what could be causing this so I have to stab in the dark. The programmers are off until Wensday and will look into this.

Well hopefully the programmers will have some more ideas. From what I can tell only a very small percentage of users (perhaps 300-400) have downloaded the Gamma. I do not recall this problem with anyone else but perhaps someone else will remember it and the solution.

I do know that with LOR I there was a problem with some installs that sound just a little like this. It had to do with another program that had not completed its install... Once that program was installed the LOR problem went away. I cannot remember the name of the program. It may have had something to do with audio or video editing. I am thinking....... (no jokes!:P)

Thanks, Dan! Oh, and Happy New Year! I did manage to install the update to my laptop with no problem, so it's something with my desktop pc that is causing the problem. I did have some sequences and audio files saved to another folder, could that cause a problem? I use my laptop to run my show but would like to do my sequencing on my desktop(Much bigger display)

As a last resort, I downloaded a Microsoft utility-Windows Install Cleanup. I installed and ran it deleting the LOR 2 from the list. Now my LOR 2 starts without a problem. I also opened the control panel and checked all the remaining LOR programs and they all start without a problem. I'm not sure what the isuue was but it appears to be a "non-issue" at the moment. Thanks.

Mike G wrote:

As a last resort, I downloaded a Microsoft utility-Windows Install Cleanup. I installed and ran it deleting the LOR 2 from the list. Now my LOR 2 starts without a problem. I also opened the control panel and checked all the remaining LOR programs and they all start without a problem. I'm not sure what the isuue was but it appears to be a "non-issue" at the moment. Thanks.

I had the same problem with my PC, removed and reinstalled several times. I just spent the season hitting cancel 15 times every time I ran sequence/show/schedule - I'll look for the microsoft utility, would be nice to remove this from my problem list as well - thanks for posting the solution!

I was having to wait for the config message any time I opened the sequence editor or other LOR programs after I had to reinstall windows xp. It turns out that I was missing a dll in the WINSXS folder. I will check my system when I get home tonight and post what I found in the system log. It seems like it was msxml4r.dll or something like that.

-Steve

Ok this is what I found in my Application event log. I just searched my computer for the dll and copied it to the folder and then added it to the registry.

Detection of product '{E744BFEA-E027-441E-83A2-36202F661E31}', feature 'Light_O_Rama_Files', component '{303994BA-6487-47AE-AF1D-7AF6088EEBDB}' failed. The resource 'C:WINDOWSWinSxSx86_Microsoft.MSXML2_6bd6b9abf345378f_4.20.9818.0_x-ww_8ff50c5dmsxml4.dll' does not exist.

Detection of product '{E744BFEA-E027-441E-83A2-36202F661E31}', feature 'Light_O_Rama_Files' failed during request for component '{9F0D2FF6-7C9D-47D5-B0FE-51077310DF2E}

-Steve

Steve Saunders wrote:

Ok this is what I found in my Application event log. I just searched my computer for the dll and copied it to the folder and then added it to the registry.

Detection of product '{E744BFEA-E027-441E-83A2-36202F661E31}', feature 'Light_O_Rama_Files', component '{303994BA-6487-47AE-AF1D-7AF6088EEBDB}' failed. The resource 'C:WINDOWSWinSxSx86_Microsoft.MSXML2_6bd6b9abf345378f_4.20.9818.0_x-ww_8ff50c5dmsxml4.dll' does not exist.

Detection of product '{E744BFEA-E027-441E-83A2-36202F661E31}', feature 'Light_O_Rama_Files' failed during request for component '{9F0D2FF6-7C9D-47D5-B0FE-51077310DF2E}

-Steve

Steve - I'm not all that skilled in the internal workings of Windows - I think I could find the file, and assuming you mean copy it to the windows system folder? What do you mean by add it to the registry, is that a command or option somewhere that you could point me to? Thanks!

Those of you who have had this problem -- could you tell me what kinds of anti-piracy or personal firewall type software you have installed on the machines that gave you trouble?

Tor Gunston wrote:

Those of you who have had this problem -- could you tell me what kinds of anti-piracy or personal firewall type software you have installed on the machines that gave you trouble?

I am using McAfee Security Center, Version 8.0 with virus scan version 12.o and Personal Firewall version 9.0

Tor

I am using AVG antivirus and i am also behind a sonicwall firewall. The installation files are ones that I had used to install the LORII software before the reinstallation of XP sp2 with all updates applied.

Apparently MSXML4 sp2 was not installed properly on my computer, it may have had something to do with my slipstreamed installation disk.

I found this to be the fix for my problem.

Cause
A shared component that ArcGIS Desktop and Microsoft use is missing. MSXML4.dll is required by ArcGIS Desktop and if the program cannot find this file, it begins to repair the installation.
Solution or Workaround

1. Open Windows Explorer and browse to C:WINDOWSWinSxSx86_Microsoft.MSXML2_6bd6b9abf345378f_4.20.9818.0_x-ww_8ff50c5d.
  2. If the directory cannot be found, proceed to the next step. If the directory exists, delete it and proceed to the next step.
  3. Open a Web browser and go to the Microsoft link in Related Information below.
  4. Download and install MSXML 4 Service Pack 2.

NOTE

• If MSXML 4 Service Pack 2 is already installed, download again

• Download ‘msxml.msi’ only

• If this service pack was previously installed, an error message occurs during installation. This is expected; no action is required.

5. Once finished, run ArcMap again and see if the problem is corrected.

Related Information