Light-O-Rama Forums

"Enhanced" Network Questions

JamesWright

I have several questions involving the change over to an enhanced LOR network.

1. Is this only required in order to get the PE Visualizer to control the LOR network lights? I think that the answer is yes. Everything seams to work (LOR and E.131) just fine from SE.

2. The warning that I receive when changing my regular LOR network to enhanced is that only G3 controllers can be configured to work on the enhanced network. I am using older CTB16PC and CR150D controllers. With the proper firmware upgrade, will they work?

3. I am using the LOR Light Linker for connectivity. Does that firmware need to be upgraded also?

4. Is there any reason not to use the enhanced network once all of the firmware is upgraded on the controllers?

Thanks in advance. Jim

> 1. Is this only required in order to get the PE Visualizer to control the LOR network lights? I think that the answer is yes. Everything seams to work (LOR and E.131) just fine from SE.

It's required anytime you are using intensity files.  Pixel Editor always outputs intensity files and SuperStar has the option to do so.

> 2. The warning that I receive when changing my regular LOR network to enhanced is that only G3 controllers can be configured to work on the enhanced network. I am using older CTB16PC and CR150D controllers. With the proper firmware upgrade, will they work?

No.  Gen 1 & 2 controllers can not use intensity files.  Cosmic Color devices can with a firmware update.

> 3. I am using the LOR Light Linker for connectivity. Does that firmware need to be upgraded also?

That I don't know.

> 4. Is there any reason not to use the enhanced network once all of the firmware is upgraded on the controllers?

Older controllers can't use enhanced networks.  Also, if you use inputs for triggers, they won't work on enhanced networks.

In my case I have two network year round, and a third for Christmas.  I had to re-arrange my networks so one of them has all the controllers that can't use enhanced networks or inputs, and the second has all controllers that can.  The second used enhanced format.  The third one only has CCPs and will use enhanced network at 500K this year.

Don and Jim:

Thanks for the information. I now understand the difference and will proceed accordingly. Jim W

• Like 1

Intensity data files can be played back over:

1) Enhanced LOR networks

2) DMX via USB dongle

3) DMX via E1.31/ethernet

Older controllers without an Enhanced LOR firmware upgrade cannot be put on an enhanced LOR network. The list of firmware that supports the enhanced LOR protocol is available here:

http://www.lightorama.com/help/whats_new.htm#4-0-0-newandupdatedfirmware

Matt

Matt: I guess that I missed that listing. Thanks for the information. Is there anyway to upgrade the hardware in the older controllers, except for buying new controllers?

Jim W

I have several questions involving the change over to an enhanced LOR network.

1. Is this only required in order to get the PE Visualizer to control the LOR network lights? I think that the answer is yes. Everything seams to work (LOR and E.131) just fine from SE.

2. The warning that I receive when changing my regular LOR network to enhanced is that only G3 controllers can be configured to work on the enhanced network. I am using older CTB16PC and CR150D controllers. With the proper firmware upgrade, will they work?

3. I am using the LOR Light Linker for connectivity. Does that firmware need to be upgraded also?

4. Is there any reason not to use the enhanced network once all of the firmware is upgraded on the controllers?

Thanks in advance. Jim

Using light linkers you might want to consider upgrading to firmware 2.10 or 2.20 that will enable your to set your speed from 57200 to 115200  That what I did and it helped a lot.

IS there a way to uncheck the Enhanced LOR Network box in Network Preferences for the first/Regular Network? I have all old controllers and that area is grayed out. My lights test fine in HW but do not work with CP/SE.

IS there a way to uncheck the Enhanced LOR Network box in Network Preferences for the first/Regular Network? I have all old controllers and that area is grayed out. My lights test fine in HW but do not work with CP/SE.

I'm not sure about earlier versions, but in 4.2.10 go into Network Configuration and click the "Advanced" button on the right. Your network settings will now be displayed in a grid. Click on the row you would like to change. This opens a new window that shows the details for that row and allows you to edit the values. Just uncheck the "enhanced" checkbox in the pop-up window and then click ok.

Matt

I'm running Advanced 4.2.10 and the Regular Com network is Enhanced and the check box is grayed out and none of the lights work. If I change my lights to Aux A that box is still grayed out but unchecked-not enhanced and my lights work. All lights work under HW.

Matt:

In your most recent response above, you reference release 4.2.10. I still only find 4.2.6 on the download page. How do I get the latest release?

Jim

Matt:

In your most recent response above, you reference release 4.2.10. I still only find 4.2.6 on the download page. How do I get the latest release?

Jim

James,

4.2.10 is the latest BETA version.  4.2.6 is the current official release version.

The latest official release version is available from the the "normal" download pages.  The latest beta release is available only through a link provided in the announcement of that particular beta release.  That is always in the announcements section of the forum.

I'm running Advanced 4.2.10 and the Regular Com network is Enhanced and the check box is grayed out and none of the lights work. If I change my lights to Aux A that box is still grayed out but unchecked-not enhanced and my lights work. All lights work under HW.

Running "enhanced" LOR networks is supposed to require a PRO level license. We've found some inconsistencies in the way we check if you are allowed to run enhanced. Those inconsistencies will likely disappear in future versions. So if you want to run enhanced LOR networks, it is best to have a PRO license.

Matt

As Matt has said, there was an inconsistency in the S4 release:

In the Original Pre Release S4 Beta we treated Advanced licenses as if they were pro.  When the beta period expired your license went back to Advanced.  If during the period you set Enhanced ON, you could no longer turn it back off.

There was a small bug in the Network Config that could have inadvertently turned enhanced ON, even if you didn't have Pro.

The next release will take care of both of those issues.  If however you are having the problem now, I can fix it for you with a remote session (or if you know how to use RegEdit I can tell you what to change).