Light-O-Rama Forums

Is my wiring wrong for my trigger?

Army Lights

So, I recently bought a single beam IR sensor to trigger a portion of my halloween show. I've wired the sensor as I believe I'm supposed to, and the beam itself is definitely trigger at the correct time, as show on the indicator lights on the detector itself, but it is not registering with the LOR. In fact, it is shorting the LOR out every time it triggers. So, I think I obviously have something wired wrong, but I'm not sure what. So here's how the wiring is currently:

The IR Beam has the following 4 terminals:

Negative: Wired to my power source (powers perfectly fine)

Positive: Wired to my power source (powers perfectly fine)

COM: Wired to the Ground pin on the LOR1602MP3

OUT: Wired to the Input1 pin on the LOR1602MP3

So, when I pull up the input test in the hardware utility, it shows that the controller shorts out whenever the beam is interrupted. Of course, I'm looking for the green boxed checkmark on input 1, and I don't get that.

For what it's worth, I had originally tried the ground wire from the power source going into the COM of the sensor. No short on the system, but no trigger recognition either. 

So, I'm guessing the COM-->Ground is wrong, but even so, I still do not have a solution.  

I've also tested connecting the ground on the LOR directly to the input on the LOR and that does trigger in the Hardware tester, so I know that's not an issue.

Please help! 

Thanks!

Are you sure your IR sensor doesn't put out a voltage instead of just completing the circuit with a relay?

I'm not sure, but I will find out. If it does, what changes do I need to make?

Are you sure your IR sensor doesn't put out a voltage instead of just completing the circuit with a relay?

According to the specs, the relay output is "1A Max 36V."

Here is the wiring diagram:

post-6454-144569894752_thumb.jpg

He is using the same sensors I'm using. The output is a dry contact relay closure. I will be chatting with him later this morning.

Chris, can you call me about 1100.

• The topic was locked