Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixcon 16

Cheski

I am going to run my show from a stand alone laptop.  I thought I could just run an ethernet cable from my laptop to the Pixcon 16.  However, in the documentation on the LOR webpage for the Pixcon it states the following "If you connect your computer LAN output directly to the PixCon16, be sure and use a cross-cable."  I have read the Pixcon manual and I did not see anything about a cross cable.  Do I need a cross cable, and if so can I make one?

Most likely no crossover cable required. Almost all LAN Devices these days will auto crossover if needed. The Pixcon may not (hence the reason for that instruction), but it's highly likely that your laptop will. If neither device lights up, you will likely need a crossover cable. Also note that with just the laptop and Pixcon connected, your laptop and the Pixcon will need to be configured for static IP addresses.

Also keep in mind that there are 6 RJ45 connectors on the Pixcon16 and only one of them is an ethernet port. As long as you go from the ethernet port on your computer to the ethernet port on the Pixcon16 then you shouldn't need a crossover cable but then again I didn't engineer the card. It doesn't make much sense to install a connector on the card and call it an ethernet port if it isn't wired to the industry standard as then it would just be another LOR port.

I believe the crossover is needed if it's ran in the LOR configuration. However, if you're running it in E1.31 mode, the xover is not needed. At least that's my understanding.

I plan to run in the E1.31 mode.  I am only running a small pixel tree this year with the pixcon.  I have 5 LOR controllers running the rest of my display.  Thanks for your help.

No cross over cable required.  

If using and setup for E1.31 a regular Cat5 cable is used in the E1.31 connector.

If used in LOR protocol Cat 5 cable is used and connected in the LOR connectors like a conventional LOR controllor.

It doesn't make much sense to install a connector on the card and call it an ethernet port if it isn't wired to the industry standard as then it would just be another LOR port.

It appears you have very little experience with computers. When going from one computer to another directly you have to use a crossover cable. But when going through a hub or switch you can use a patch cable. This is all about getting the TX lines from one device to the RX on the second device. And the Second devices TX wires to the RX on the first device. This switching is done in the hub or switch. Now both computer have a standard Ethernet port on both of them. Your logic confounds me why you would make a statement about non-standard jacks. I suppose this goes to the fact that you lack understanding of how this stuff works.

I understand how things work but maybe I just didn't explain it clearly enough. Maybe I can explain it so you understand a little better, when connecting a computer to a like item such as say a computer then you would use a crossover cable or a router to a router. If you connect a computer to a router, a different item, then you would use a patch cable. I guess what I should have asked is, what is a LOR controller considered?

You should be able to connect directly from a computer to a PixCon16 using a normal straight through cable.  The PixCon16 (and most likely your computer) can tell the difference between cables/connections and will switch pins for you.  No need for a crossover cable. 

I have a Laptop in my lab that is currently dedicated to re-configuring PixCon16s so I can test my software changes.  There is nothing between them than a normal CAT5 cable.

You do of course need to properly configure the network settings of both the computer and PixCon16.  http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/IntroductionToDMXandE131.pdf

• The topic was locked