Light-O-Rama Forums

i have a channel going out, some insight would help.

portcity_gt

One of my 16 channel a/c controllers (3rd gen) channel 15 intermittently works, ive confirmed its the controller with a different light. This channel is my "tune to" so it runs continuous i also have that channel set to on/off only in hu.

Ive seen mention of triacs on here, is that likely the problem, and is that the thing that goes to the heatsink? If so where can i get a new one?

I also want to add, my sign (new this year) is lit with a cheap rgb ribbon/controller/transformer, any way that could have caused the channel to fail?

I also want to add, my sign (new this year) is lit with a cheap rgb ribbon/controller/transformer, any way that could have caused the channel to fail?

I got a cheap RGB strip and controller and power supply (Remember that it is not a transformer, transformers are for AC. Those things are DC power supplies) and it was dead on arrival, and also came with a counterfeit kettle/IEC cable.

I read the reviews on a similar device on Amazon. Some reported they were dangerous and one started a small fire. Perhaps the power supply had a fault which damaged your controller.

Controllers don't ever like things like power supplies and transformers, and especially not turning them on and off frequently.

Also, triacs sometimes do fail. The best way to control your sign would be to connect a relay between the power supply and the controller, or even better several between the controller and light strip. Then connect that relay to your controller.

The sign works fine plugged straight into the wall, so i dont think anything is wrong with it.

I had though about using a relay to stop any back feed....but i honestly had no idea it could hurt the controller...i guess i do now that i have a screwed up controller.

Controllers don't ever like things like power supplies and transformers, and especially not turning them on and off frequently.

The LOR AC controllers I own have no issues with transformers (AC to DC wall-warts). I've used many of them for years with LEDs with no problems. Turning them on, off and even fading up or down, not one problem.

I don't think that was the problem. I've used those AC to DC converters/transformers for years and never messed up a controller channel. Start a ticket with LOR, it might be under warranty.

• Like 1

Last year I had a problem with an intermittent problem on one controller.  It would work fine at time and other times it wouldn't work.  I ended up just running from a spare channel on another controller.

I asked a friend about it, and he suggested it might be a cold solder joint.   (I built all my controllers from kits.  The one in question is CTB16D).  Anyway, when I was removing the controller from the enclosure it seemed that some of the set screws were loose.  These set screws are where the hot and neutrals are connected to the board.  This may have been the trouble, but I went over the solder joints anyway.

After I got done working on it, I tested it for 3+ hours and it worked fine.

So if there are any set screw connections on your controller, check to make sure they are tight.

Jerry

One other thought.  Are you running any CFL's with that controller.  CFL's can cause controllers to malfunction.

Jerry

Whats a cfl?

I do have another question possibly related.

Im running last years show with the exception of one song i added, last year the tune to sign was set at 50% intensity, i changed the sequences in se to 100%.....but my question is does the show i made last year save the sequences in that show file or just use the address to pull that sequence from the sequence folder?

The LOR AC controllers I own have no issues with transformers (AC to DC wall-warts). I've used many of them for years with LEDs with no problems. Turning them on, off and even fading up or down, not one problem.

Never fade up or down AC-DC power supplies!

:o

Never fade up or down AC-DC power supplies!

:o

I never had a problem doing that with over 16 of them for years. Controllers did fine. Power supplies/transformers did just fine. :)

Edited by Santas Helper

CFL = Compact Fluorescent bulb.

Sorry, should have been more clear.

The show just store what sequences to run.  When you change a sequence it should take affect the next time it plays.  (I think)

Just fyi....i removed the 2014 show from the schedule, created a new show with the same songs, but remember i edited the sequences a month or so ago to have ch.15 on at 100%.....and it fixed it! So apparently the show builder saves the sequence in the show.

Why don't you save yourself the angst and despair you've suffered since Saturday and just put your sign on a timer?  No muss, no fuss, and only one thing that needs doing properly to last the entire season.  

• Like 1

Why don't you save yourself the angst and despair you've suffered since Saturday and just put your sign on a timer?  No muss, no fuss, and only one thing that needs doing properly to last the entire season.  

I agree with George, and do the same thing. Why eat up a channel for something that stays when the show is playing?

That what I did.  I use Insteon to control the static parts of my show, such as the tune to sign, some blow molds, spots, etc..

I stop my show at 10:00pm and run animation sequences after that with slow fades - no flashing, and I turn off the outdoor speakers.  I use zara radio and continue to play music on FM after the show, so I leave the tune to sign lit.

Jerry

I dont have a problem putting the sign on a timer.....i also dont have a problem using a channel for the sign either.

My problem was there was an issue that i needed to figure out.

On second thought though, the sequence thing dosnt explain why the channel wasnt working correctly with the string of incandescents i used to test it.

• The topic was locked