Light-O-Rama Forums

how to I show video synchronized along with lights?

roverdish

I have a spare 65" DLP TV that I would like to place outside in order to play music videos or made up videos along with my lights. Is there a relatively easy way to do this? Does the computer need a tuner card or can I just add a video card and run the television off of it?

according to what I see it looks as though I could show either a video or lights of but not both.at the same time. If I could display a music video with lyrics I could get more sing-a-longs going on.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Chip

LOR has been able to show video as long as I can remember.   But it may not be as easy as you think.    When you select your media file for a sequence (notice it does not say audio) you pick your video there.    The audio portion of the video will be heard from your sound board to the FM transmitter as usual.  The video portion goes to the monitor you designate at the same time.    Your computer needs a video out that your tv will use as its input.   

Here is the hard part.. if you have an existing sequence and want sync'd video, you need to make the mpeg/mp4 yourself using video editor.    If you are doing a NEW sequence then select video and sequence to that and you are good.    For existing sequences, you could find the mp3 audio you were using may not line up with audio portion of a video for the same song.   

If your computer or laptop can support an external monitor then it is pretty easy.  I've been running my show for years with video on an external display.  Use something like Windows movie maker to add your video and existing mp3/wav file and then change the media to use the video file in the sequencer.

Question on this, as I haven't tried....will video output via monitor port (VGA) only or can it run out HDMI port which my PC has both.

video out put can be used from the VGA plug,  I use a VGA splitter to allow me to use a monitor on the computer and a remote projector at the same time off a single video card, I use a 50 VGA monitor cord from the splitter to the projector .Since Super High resolution is not my goal it works great and you can not see any degradation.  You will want to make a blank black desktop (with one small icon )  so that when you are not running a video you will have a blank screen. 

• 4 weeks later...

Can you run video off of the Pro Showtime Director ( no computer).

No, video requires the Microsoft Media Player so you must use a computer.