Light-O-Rama Forums

i made an unconventional "tune to" sign

portcity_gt

Some of yall know im always trying different things....at least i think its different, i didnt really research it.

I took a 1x4 and cut a 1/4" groove 3/4" in on one side to make the box (the groove is for coroplast to slide in. Then cut the inside back corner of the box so the 1/4 plywood back would sit flush. Recessed a piano hinge to the top with a 1x6 lid to cover the slot the coro goes in.

Painted the inside white,the outside black, added a 5050 rgb ribbon and controller to the inside.

Masked the letters on the coro and painted it black.

So now i have a tune to sign that should last forever, and be any color, and its easy to change the coro if i have to change frequency.

20150912_195240_zpsq8iqkgi6.jpg

20150912_195347_zpsuewi7dek.jpg

20150912_195213_zpsycdb5hkg.jpg

20150913_180924_zpswrcxgtoq.jpg

20150917_202640_zpsp07qpupd.jpg

20150917_150830_zpsakmbox0y.jpg

20150917_154526_zpsikmsfnsq.jpg

20150917_202728_zpszw0ojgql.jpg

20150917_202957_zps6uyakfey.jpg

I like it (to the point I may copy it next year).  Very well done sir. 

What are the dimensions of it?

Edited by jrock_at_rons

I like it, but as always someone will ask "AM or FM", or tune WHAT.

Edited by EARLE W. TALLEY

I like it (to the point I may copy it next year). Very well done sir.

What are the dimensions of it?

The coro was 24x19 so i just made the box to fit it.

I like it, but as always someone will ask "AM or FM", or tune WHAT.

Well if they cant figure that out....they shouldnt be driving (to the show) lol

But that's the beauty of it.....you can put any coro you want in it.

Wow.....I LOVE this!!! You could totally sell them on Ebay.

Yeah i could probably sell a few, but our lighting community is relatively small.

Then again half of the people won't even see the sign.

Yep..........Thats for sure, my first year I did the display my neighbor called my after it was on for almost 2 weeks and said "You better call an electrician cuz your lights are really blinking sorta weird"  

AND I HAD 2 (TWO) SIGNS IN THE YARD.........Go Figure out that one!

I did run into a bit of an issue. ....all of my sequences have the tune to sign at 50% power, obviously i cant send 60 volts ac into the rgb controller, i guess easiest fix will be to set that channel "on/off" in the hardware utility vs. Changing every sequence.

What is the purpose of the hinge?

The coro slides into a slot at the top,and the hinged cover is to help keep the rain out.

I did run into a bit of an issue. ....all of my sequences have the tune to sign at 50% power, obviously i cant send 60 volts ac into the rgb controller, i guess easiest fix will be to set that channel "on/off" in the hardware utility vs. Changing every sequence.

You can solve that problem with a painfully easy solution: put the sign on a timer and use the controller channel for something more useful. That way the sign is lit for the brightness and hours you want without having to remember it in each sequence, or without having to try to guess when someone might be looking fort/at it.

You can solve that problem with a painfully easy solution: put the sign on a timer and use the controller channel for something more useful. That way the sign is lit for the brightness and hours you want without having to remember it in each sequence, or without having to try to guess when someone might be looking fort/at it.

Ive thought of that, and it might happen.

But the reason it was sequenced in is because the old sign was too bright and i needed to run it at 50%.

So its already in the 30 some odd songs i have for Christmas, i have 80 a/c channels now and probably not going to add any more, just add pixels so the extra channel isnt really needed.

With any luck my thinking is correct and one click of the mouse in hardware utility will set that channel to come on 100% for any event.