Light-O-Rama Forums

G3-MP3 Show Director - can it output to non-LOR controllers?

bbrescia

Hi - this year I am using S4's Sequence Editor and Pixel Editor to code up my sequences - due to the addition of several AlphaPix controllers for my smart RGB strips on the fascia, etc.

I will use LOR AC controllers in 100% DMX mode. So I will have 25 universes of DMX with Universe 1 being the LOR AC controlled strings. Universes 2 to 25 are all smart RGB strip, controlled by 3 or 4 AlphaPix controllers.

Will I be able to compile the show as I did last year and run it from the LOR G3-MP3 Show Director? 

Thanks - Bob

I hope it does, because I have the same G3 MP3 director. I believe the second jack inside the unit will output 1 DMX universe, or at least that's what I've heard.

I'm doing a regular LOR show but have added the Holiday Coro canes for this year running off DMX. I have the Holiday Coro DMX pixel controller and I'm planning on having that connected to that second port on the Director unit.

If you go to the hardware unity when you write your sequences to your SD card there is a check box to turn on the other port.  Let me know how it goes as I am curious as well.

Eric

Hi Eric - will do. I spoke with David Moore yesterday (Holiday Coro) and he says no - must be run from a PC. I am thinking like you though - with the second output. Otherwise, technology has just cost me a couple of hundred bucks of useless Show Director!  Bob

The AlphaPix controllers require an E1.31 input, which is DMX over Ethernet (a computer network). Neither the Show Director, nor the mini-Director has an Ethernet port. You will require a computer with a wired Ethernet port (not WiFi) to run your show.

Matt

Will LOR be coming out with a new device for this purpose soon?

I don't know about a new device. Within LOR's current offering, you can connect the new PixCon16 controller to a Director. The PixCon16 has many of the same features as the AlphaPix.

Matt

I think the guy at Holiday Coro thought you might be running E1.31. I have a the little controller that runs off of DMX not E1.31 and the LOR folks tell me the director will output the 1 DMX universe. I fooled around with the hardware utility and there is indeed an option to run the second jack as a DMX.

Many controllers run off the E1.31 now though, which means you use the ethernet port on your computer to drive them.  I don't use a computer for my show, so I will need to test the DMX controller before I just put it all out in my display.  I like LOR's new pixel controller and will probably go that route next year during the summer sale.

Eric, I do intend to do E1.31 because I will have 25 universes. Thank you so much for the info re: the second output jack, though - could come in handy for Halloween!

Vince, thanks also for your comment.and I assume you are using the board in its LOR mode. If that's true, are you then daisy-chaining the other controllers from the G3? In LOR mode, how many universes can it handle?

Bob

I have one PixCon16, (3) CMB24D running dumb RGB, and (6) standard LOR controllers. All controllers are daisy chained from G3 running in LOR mode.

I haven't researched it much because I'm just going to use a few DMX pixels but I think there is a product called an ELOR made by Sandevices. It's suppose to convert the LOR signal to an E1.31. I have no idea how it works or how many universes/pixels it will run.  

All this stuff is way over my head. I have a few CCPs and that's about it.  If I go the pixel route I'll get that new Pixicon LOR controller.