Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB 50W Flood

Kyle Whitaker

I just purchased a few RGB 50W Floods.  These are not Cosmic Color Floods right?  How do I set them up in the sequence editor?  I would like to start setting them them up in my sequences before I get them.  Thanks.

Edited by Kyle Whitaker

They have the same channel properties as a CCF.

RGB Channels 1-3

Strobe functionality Ch. 4-5

Each 50w strobe will have it's own UnitID. (Unless you want them all to do that same, then you could give them all the same ID, but for troubleshooting purposes, I wouldn't.)

So do you add the color in the RGB Channel or a combination of 1-3 or can you do both.  How do the strobe circuits work?

Yep. It's "just" an RGB channel. Like any other RGB channel you may or may not have in your display. Add the color anyway you want, but I'd stick with the color fade tool and the RGB portion of the channel.

As for strobes... check page 11.

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/CF50D_UF50D_UserMan_Web.pdf

Your example seemed to have everything in channels 1-3 but you would recommend using the color fade tool in the RGB channel?

The two "New Channel" items in that sequence ARE RGB channels.

RGB uses 3 channels to create the color you want.

For example if you want an aqua blueish color, there are two ways to do it:

1) Use the Color Fade Tool (quick)

2) Figure out how much of each Red, Green and Blue intensity you need in order to make that color, then assign that intensity to the intensity tool and apply it to each red, green and blue. You'd have to change that intensity tool each time, for Red Green and Blue, since each value is going to be different.

So yes, It looks as if everything is added to channels 1-3. Knowing me, I would have created those channels with the Fade Tool. It's quicker.

And for my two cents, love the two I purchased through Don earlier this year.

For programming, the RGB is exactly as described above. Additionally, I have no use for channel 4, but play around with channel 5 for some really nice strobe effects for whatever you have programmed into the three RGB channels.

After playing with the floods a little bit this morning, I may have misled some folks in PM's.

The strobe effect does NOT show up in the visualizer. :angry: :angry:

Whatever color combination that is selected views as just "on" when channel 5 is selected. Looks the same as if channel 5 is not selected. But that is just on the visualizer. Below is a short video to try to help clear matters up. The first blue flashing and then the red flashing was with "shimmer" effects used in the blue and then red RGB channels: 3 -blue, 1 - red. The last part is with various colors selected in the RGB channels, 1, 2 & 3, and "full on" filled in for channel 5, which creates the strobe effect. Hope this clears it up a little.
(Sorry for the crude video - it's my phone... :D :D)

http://vid40.photobucket.com/albums/e217/MegaArch/50W%20RGB%20FLOOD%20TEST%20THX_zps9swh2dli.mp4

• 2 months later...

I added a flood as a rgb device, type Cosmic Color Array with 1 pixel, which would give me color control.  To add strobe effects, I added two regular channels below the rgb channels, using the same unit id.  it seems a little clunky when I edit the strobe effects, because I have to set my intensity toolsettings to accomodate 1%, etc, for creating lightning effects, which may limit using common intensities until you change them back.

I also wanted to add this (and two more floods) to existing sequences....it gets a little tedious, configuring 5 channels per flood over and over.  So, I created my flood channels as a stand-alone sequence, and used the channel configuration export tool.  in my case, i would add 15 channels....and then open another existing sequence, and import the channels to save time.  i needed to make "space" for the new channels first, so I added 15 channels above the original channels in my sequence.  it turns out I actually have to add 1 extra channel because the import puts one blank channel in followed by however many i had imported.  Thar is, 1 flood with strobe = 5 channels, so I added 6 channels to the target sequence.  Unfortunately, the import only adds channels to the top of the list, so if you are uncomfortable with this, youll have to use another method.  as a precaution I would set up a test set of sequences, and use them first!  Best of Luck!

I tried both the intensity method and the color fade....the intensity is......intense....the color fade, while faster, seems to leave more room for "mousefarts?".   I set up the situation by adding 1 RGB channel followed by 2 channels with device type of LOR Controller, modified the unit id to match the RGB unit and circuits to 4 and 5.  I wasn't sure if it was necessary, but under advanced settings, I chose CCD Special Channel (since they were to be macro channels)....it works but is this the right way? I don't know!  Anyway, I set this up as a standalone sequence, then exported the configuration, and after adding  6 dummy channels (one more than I needed-weird because import adds one additional channel) to the TOP of my sequence channel, and yes it worked.

• 2 weeks later...

They have the same channel properties as a CCF.

RGB Channels 1-3

Strobe functionality Ch. 4-5

Each 50w strobe will have it's own UnitID. (Unless you want them all to do that same, then you could give them all the same ID, but for troubleshooting purposes, I wouldn't.)

Hi Don,

I just stumbled across this post and noticed you said each flood was its own unit id?? So If I was to have a 16 channel LOR system accompanied by a cmb24 with 8 floods, does that mean I will have 9 units???

Thanks

Hi Don,

I just stumbled across this post and noticed you said each flood was its own unit id?? So If I was to have a 16 channel LOR system accompanied by a cmb24 with 8 floods, does that mean I will have 9 units???

Thanks

50W have their own controllers built in to the flood light. If you have 10 in your display, you would have 10 extra ID's on your network and in your programming.

10W do NOT. They connect to a CMB24D which has it's OWN ID. (And a single one at that.)

10w and 50w floods from LOR are *very* different devices are NOT the same when it comes to addressing. 

• Like 1

50W have their own controllers built in to the flood light. If you have 10 in your display, you would have 10 extra ID's on your network and in your programming.

10W do NOT. They connect to a CMB24D which has it's OWN ID. (And a single one at that.)

10w and 50w floods from LOR are *very* different devices are NOT the same when it comes to addressing. 

gotcha, thank you for clarifying that. i sent you a pm btw. thanks again.