Light-O-Rama Forums

Servo dog is HOT HOT HOT!

thebaronn

I finially cracked open my servo dog.

I attached a 12V PS to the board.

I powered it on, the red LED blinked twice then that was it.

When I went to plug the cat5 into the board, I burnt my hand.

I have the positive to the V+ and the negative to G.

I did not change anything on the board, it is set from the factory.

Now I do not get any LED, just a lot of heat.

Any thoughts?

What was the power supply that you used? I blew a dimmer by using an AC one by accident.

If you did not change anything, then LOR should replace it.

What was the power supply that you used? I blew a dimmer by using an AC one by accident.

If you did not change anything, then LOR should replace it.

I used my regular 12V PS from my pixels.

It gets so hot, it is amazing.

I

Look for a dead short. I mean like something that is shorting the positive and ground of the power supply. Loose screw or a washer for the mounting of the board that might be also contacting a positive and negative trace.

Good luck

Disconnect the power leads between P.S. and controller. Check output of P.S. with volt meter and is the P.S. still getting hot? IF not now with ohm meter check the resistance between the +  and - terminal on the board. Is it really low like less than 100 ohms? Look for short on board of controller or something that is blackened.

The board is on a rubber mat so no shorts that are my fault, lol! I have tried 3 different power supplies and they all do the same thing but then power their pixels just fine.

I know exactly where it starts to heat up. But sadly I have no clue what to test for.

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/ServoDog_Man_Web.pdf

If you look at the servo dog picture on the front page, the black square capacitor(I have no clue what it is called) directly to the left of the power connections on the bottom is where is starts heating up, and fast!

I opened a help desk ticket.

I'm not sure if that is a capacitor.....

Looks like a chip, as it says IC5 next to it.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

That looks like a voltage regulator, (from what I can see). If that i actually what it is, then something on that board isn't happy.  Could be a bad cap or bad IC... or any number of things.   Let LOR take care of it.  I am thinking you will have to get it replaced.

Baring that, take a magnifying glass and look for solder bridges or floating pieces of "something".  I once had a floating piece of solder on a brand new factory board that got stuck where I couldn't see it.  I took the board and banged it on the counter in all directions and it finally fell out.. then it worked fine.. Maybe you could get that lucky.. "Maybe"..

I would also guess that perhaps if it is another component, it might be getting hot too.. see what your finger tells you unless you have a IR temp sensor that would be more accurate..

Just some thoughts..

LOL!

So on sunday I ordered another servo dog. I used 3 day shipping so it would be here for this weekend (ever here of the "summer of George"? Well this is the "weekend of me").

Right before I click purchase, it says: TRYFORFREE? 2% off....

Well, 2% is still 2% so I do it. Day 3 comes and goes.....

I email LOR and find our the try for free may take up to 10 weeks. I am definitely a genius.......

So I called my work and asked if any one wanted the weekend off and now I'm working.

So much for the "weekend of me"

I'm so disgusted with myself.

If you have managed to let the magic smoke out, you could try collecting it from the atmosphere and putting it back in. I think HolidayCoro used to sell a device to do this.

Funny thing is I put in the tryforfree and clicked buy.  Then I get my email and it wasn't listed on the invoice.  It shipped the next day!  So I had the opposite problem as you.

Funny thing is I put in the tryforfree and clicked buy.  Then I get my email and it wasn't listed on the invoice.  It shipped the next day!  So I had the opposite problem as you.

What if you then found out that if TryForFree had worked, you would have got your order for free?