Light-O-Rama Forums

S4, there has got to be a better way

plasmadrive

I haven't figured out the PE yet because I don't think I can get the precision I want with it according to what I read.  So I am trying to add pixel channels the old fashion way.  I have 16 props with 90 pixels each and they need to spread over 8 universes. I am using the Sequence editor since I can't use both...

So the easy way would be to make a prop in a track, duplicate that prop and just change a "starting channel number".  I don't think LOR can do that, but if so.. LORD OH MIGHTY PLEASE let me know.

Another way would be to duplicate the track and change the starting channels and the rest fall in line.. can't do that either..

So now I have had to add a controller, delete the channels I don't want since I can't seem to get it to start at the channel I want, then create xxx number of channels and convert to RGB.  When I get to the end of a universe, I have to add another controller and add channels and convert to RGB.    I can do it this way, and that is what I have started but it is like very time consuming. 

I also have to rearrange the pixel order because I want to program my props a certain way to make it much easier.. ie, starting pixel number is at the bottom but I want to program from the top down. 

Any help in making this easier would be appreciated! 

Just learn PE.
I have been using PE and SE at the same time controlling the same pixels. Works just fine. You just can't have effects overlap from one to the other.

I still have to get the info into the PE or SE.. right?  is it easier to get it into PE?  Any videos on where to start? 

Do you have the pixel editor program? If you do import your visulation into the pixel editor and your ready to create effects.

I have PE but I don't use the visualizer.  The visualizer is so much of a pain to get the props in and making custom props is even worse.

I did just watch a couple of videos and at least I see the PE has potential but in many ways it is behind the XL4.  I was actually able to make a prop that I have already made in XL4.  However, what I really want to do is use the props from PE in the SE sequenced by the SE... there is a much more finite control there, all be it tedious. 

Vegomatic should be able to do that for you.   Specify the number of strings per universe.   

Can I set the starting and ending addresses as well?  Then tag them on to the end of the existing ???  I think I tried that in the past be couldn't make it work.. Did I miss something? 

Edited by plasmadrive

Yes   you can specify start address of univ when you check the continuous box.  Counts up based on number of pixels in your string and wraps back to next univ channel 1 if you get up to 510.  (512 if pixnet)   You cant specify the end. 

So if you have an old SE config with a universe partially used.  Specify that univ and the next channel to use.   

Test your settings first by just exporting a new config before trying to combine the new with the old. 

<snip>

I have 16 props with 90 pixels each and they need to spread over 8 universes.

<snip>

So now I have had to add a controller, delete the channels I don't want since I can't seem to get it to start at the channel I want, then create xxx number of channels and convert to RGB.  When I get to the end of a universe, I have to add another controller and add channels and convert to RGB.    I can do it this way, and that is what I have started but it is like very time consuming. 

Ummm, 16 props of 90 pixels does not fit in eight universes...

Yes, it does sound like you are making it a bit harder than needed.  I understand that Vegomatic should be able to help, but I've never used it so I'll walk through doing this in SE.  I'm not sure why you say you need to add controller and delete channels and then add channels and then convert to RGB.

I just opened one of my 2014 sequences and tried it on this ancient Windows XP computer.  It took not much longer to add a RGB universe than it took to type the above paragraph (and I type pretty fast).

Here are the steps.

Since added stuff should always be added at the every end of the master (first track), I will describe it that way).

Unlock the channels on the master track (I normally leave them locked so I don't screw up).

Scroll to the bottom of the track

Insert device below

Select type of DMX universe, with whatever universe is desired, and 512 channels.  Click OK

Right click on the first channel and select Covert to RGB and select the box to also do this on the following channels and enter 170.  Click OK.

Scroll to the bottom and delete the last channels.

Done - 30 seconds.

Most likely will want to make a group for each prop to keep it organized better.

If you don't want to start at channel 1, create a group from channel 1 to the last unwanted channel, then delete the group.  Same thing if you don't want a bunch of channels at the end of the universe - create a group with the unwanted channels and delete the group.

Ummm, 16 props of 90 pixels does not fit in eight universes...

Yes, it does sound like you are making it a bit harder than needed.  I understand that Vegomatic should be able to help, but I've never used it so I'll walk through doing this in SE.  I'm not sure why you say you need to add controller and delete channels and then add channels and then convert to RGB.

I just opened one of my 2014 sequences and tried it on this ancient Windows XP computer.  It took not much longer to add a RGB universe than it took to type the above paragraph (and I type pretty fast).

Here are the steps.

Since added stuff should always be added at the every end of the master (first track), I will describe it that way).

Unlock the channels on the master track (I normally leave them locked so I don't screw up).

Scroll to the bottom of the track

Insert device below

Select type of DMX universe, with whatever universe is desired, and 512 channels.  Click OK

Right click on the first channel and select Covert to RGB and select the box to also do this on the following channels and enter 170.  Click OK.

Scroll to the bottom and delete the last channels.

Done - 30 seconds.

Most likely will want to make a group for each prop to keep it organized better.

If you don't want to start at channel 1, create a group from channel 1 to the last unwanted channel, then delete the group.  Same thing if you don't want a bunch of channels at the end of the universe - create a group with the unwanted channels and delete the group.

LOL.. Okay, Okay.. my mistake.. 9 universes.. thanks..

I pretty much wound up doing what you are saying.. I stopped the adding of a controller after I posted..  I wind up making a group and deleting what I don't want.  My big problem is that I have to reorder two groups of 18 on each...

BTW, I don't add the DMX to the master.. I keep making separate tracks and groups.  I keep only my LOR network on the master.. other wise it would be awfully long..

Yes   you can specify start address of univ when you check the continuous box.  Counts up based on number of pixels in your string and wraps back to next univ channel 1 if you get up to 510.  (512 if pixnet)   You cant specify the end. 

So if you have an old SE config with a universe partially used.  Specify that univ and the next channel to use.   

Test your settings first by just exporting a new config before trying to combine the new with the old. 

OK.. I found a way that is ok in SE, but I still have to reorder 36 pixels in each group of 90.. That is why the copy, paste and change starting address would be so nice..  I did start to play with PE and I can create the props in there, but I haven't figured out if I can export them to SE yet.. still working on that one

OK.. I found a way that is ok in SE, but I still have to reorder 36 pixels in each group of 90.. That is why the copy, paste and change starting address would be so nice..  I did start to play with PE and I can create the props in there, but I haven't figured out if I can export them to SE yet.. still working on that one

Reordering is the old old fashioned way.   Especially if these 16 props will be next to each other.   Your rgb string is not cut and start going back the way you came for physical placement.  But you would like to apply the chase effect making it look like the movement always starts from the same side.  All the pixel tools including vegomatic let you wrap or snake.   

Seems to me the 16 are parts of one larger prop.   

<snip>

BTW, I don't add the DMX to the master.. I keep making separate tracks and groups.  I keep only my LOR network on the master.. other wise it would be awfully long..

I thought that you NEVER add channels to anything but the first track.  Failure to follow that results in config export and import to other sequences not working right.  Only an issue for modifying existing sequences however...

I thought that you NEVER add channels to anything but the first track.  Failure to follow that results in config export and import to other sequences not working right.  Only an issue for modifying existing sequences however...

Well I make sure all my sequences are layed out the same and I use the same config file for all.  So far that has not caused me any grief.. So far.... And I do only add below existing on the main.

Reordering is the old old fashioned way.   Especially if these 16 props will be next to each other.   Your rgb string is not cut and start going back the way you came for physical placement.  But you would like to apply the chase effect making it look like the movement always starts from the same side.  All the pixel tools including vegomatic let you wrap or snake.   

Seems to me the 16 are parts of one larger prop.   

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i966j3vacm77mr5/AADpphysORWVug_JC1byjdZOa?dl=0%C2'> There is a pic in there somewhere.

This is not just a standard back and forth.  I wired it the way I did so I could segment it and do some different things with it.  The long strips are 1-54 the short strips are 54-90.  So the bottom line is that when I program I really need to start at #18 because that is the top.  Then you can see where is goes from there.  The 3rd leg of the long strips also needs to be reverse order so that top down is the standard across the prop.   I never thought about a zig zag set up because I can't do that with SE... I can only do so many on the hardware and these stretch across 9 universes..... Even if I did it in hardware, I need to see it on the screen when I program and that won't show up unless I build some sort of visualizer file or PE file to show it..

So.. does any of that make sense? 

I think I get it.    Try this arrangement.  your columns are 18 RGBs and start at the top.  80 of them will be 16 sets.   Number continuous  ( dont leave any gaps and advance to next univ at 510) 

plasmaBigProp.jpg

I think I get it.    Try this arrangement.  your columns are 18 RGBs and start at the top.  80 of them will be 16 sets.   Number continuous  ( dont leave any gaps and advance to next univ at 510) 

plasmaBigProp.jpg

For some reason my post lost the dropbox link..  Let me try again.. You will see why this won't work well for me.. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i966j3vacm77mr5/AADpphysORWVug_JC1byjdZOa?dl=0

I see the dbox vids now showing the hex legs crossing plus circle.     If you said it was not a matrix in your description I missed it.   I saw top down which now I think means outside to in or something.   Those are very cool snowflakes  props.    

I have PE but I don't use the visualizer.  The visualizer is so much of a pain to get the props in and making custom props is even worse.

I see a common theme here :).  New tools are available that will help you, but you will need to learn to use them.

Have you tried S4 Visualizer with the new Pixel Universe fixture and the wizards updated to handle pixels?

I see a common theme here ;).  New tools are available that will help you, but you will need to learn to use them.

Have you tried S4 Visualizer with the new Pixel Universe fixture and the wizards updated to handle pixels?

aaahhhh.. no!   I just started PE yesterday and getting the props put in.  It is like the old version of XL with a few tweaks so I am doing ok with that.. I will look at the visualizer today.. Are there any how to videos anywhere?  I watched the PE part 1 and 2 and that at least got me started.. but I haven't seen anything on the new wizards for the Visualizer.. 

BTW, where did the spell check go????  some of us that are attention challenged could use it.. :P