Light-O-Rama Forums

S4 deleted all my network config files,

plasmadrive

I updated to S4 and I no longer have my network config files.  I have my old sequences.. that doesn't do me a lot of good without a network to talk to.  What happened?  Is there a conversion I need to know about. 

• 2 months later...

Did you ever figure this out? My current show computer on S3. Sequence computer on S4. Showing is running fine and I want to know what I'm getting into by upgrading show to S4.

I'm tired and doing this by memory, so may be a little off. Somewhere along to revision timeline, the network preferences changed from 4 tabs to 3 tabs. If you happened to be on the 4th tab when you were last using the network preferences, and upgraded software so that there were only 3 tabs, network preferences would crash. Open a help desk ticket and there is a really easy fix.

Other than that, I have not seen any problems with network preferences going away when upgrading to S4 - and I've done it on 4 different computers.

Did you ever figure this out? My current show computer on S3. Sequence computer on S4. Showing is running fine and I want to know what I'm getting into by upgrading show to S4.

it has been so long ago I actually forgot what I did.. but I think I just went to my show laptop and copied the info and put it in manually to the programming computer.   When I updated the show laptop it was all still there. 

IF... I remember correctly.  In any case, it doesn't take long when all you have are 31 universes...

S4/Net Prefs does NOT delete any network config files.  In fact, your network configuration isn't even stored in a file - unless you export it, and even then that is not what is used.

Network configuration has ALWAYS been stored in the registry, and it is tied to a SINGLE computer.  Without the 'export/import' dance (which was added sometime in S4) there is/was no way to move a network config from one computer to another.  Network configuration has NEVER been stored in a file.

The 4/3 tab thing did not delete any network configuration either.  It simply made it impossible to start the Net Config program without getting an 'Error 380'.  The fix for that is to update to the newest release.  If you don't want to go to that release, I can send you a registry update that will fix it.

The only way to delete a network configuration is to uninstall the software, or to run the registry wipe program.  

S4/Net Prefs does NOT delete any network config files.  In fact, your network configuration isn't even stored in a file - unless you export it, and even then that is not what is used.

Network configuration has ALWAYS been stored in the registry, and it is tied to a SINGLE computer.  Without the 'export/import' dance (which was added sometime in S4) there is/was no way to move a network config from one computer to another.  Network configuration has NEVER been stored in a file.

The 4/3 tab thing did not delete any network configuration either.  It simply made it impossible to start the Net Config program without getting an 'Error 380'.  The fix for that is to update to the newest release.  If you don't want to go to that release, I can send you a registry update that will fix it.

The only way to delete a network configuration is to uninstall the software, or to run the registry wipe program.  

THAT is probably what happened.  I did have to do a registry wipe on the programming computer..

• Like 1