Light-O-Rama Forums

Why would adding new Graphics Accelerator Card revert LOR back to DEMO mode

Orville

Just as the subject says, my LOR software 3.8.2 was registered and working fine, UNTIL I added a new 3D Graphics Accelerator card to my Windows 7 system.   Why would the software revert back to DEMO MODE because of this?    

Had to open a help ticket because the software, when I tried to re-register, says I am already at my maximum number of computers for this license.    The software is only used on one computer, it had been on a couple others in the past, but those computers are long dead and gone now, couldn't uninstall the software because the hard drives and motherboards went bad.in them.

Just don't understand why the LOR Suite 3.8.2 would revert back to DEMO ONLY MODE just by adding in a new video card.    Any ideas why this happens?

Hopefully, the help desk will get back to me and resolve this issue since I was trying to work on a few small projects for at least a small display this year.

Changing your video card changed the configuration of your computer enough that the software thought it was a new computer.

I reload my computer quite often(I guess that comes with being an IT guy), anyway LOR has had to reset my account a few times due to this. They are very good about this and do it rather fast so don't worry, you will be back up very soon.

Thanks Mike, I thought that may be what happened, but asked to see if what I thought may be the case or if Windows 7 did it.  On XP when I added a new graphics card to speed things up this didn't happen, so I thought it may be something in Windows 7 that might have caused it.   I would think the software being "registered" in the Windows registry, that would have "prevented" something like this from happening.  Like said, on Win XP, never had this happen, so this was a first time for me with this issue.

Fortunately within less than 5 minutes or so from sending in a ticket to the Help Desk, even before I received the e-mail telling me the problem had been resolved, I clicked register and I was back up and operating again.

LOR's Help Desk and Service is the best there is out there, don't know of ANY other company that would have resolved my issue in less time that it took me to post this reply!   Most would have had me in a queue and waiting for 1-3 days BEFORE I'd have been up and operational again.

Thank you LOR and the LOR HELP DESK TEAM!   You folks are fantastic!

Our pleasure.

We use many different hardware parameters to determine if a computer has changed or not, and we give different weights to each.  Basically, we boil the whole thing down to a score.  If that score changes enough, then we assume the computer has changed and will re-register it.  Your XP change may have been under the score for re-registration, while the latest one was enough to put you over the threshold. 

I assume unininstalling still does not release a seat but if an install is abandoned and never seen again, does it eventually roll off.

I don't think so Phil.  I had a couple of old laptops I was using for show computers, both died, no uninstall, and those seats never rolled off, at least not to my knowledge.    I do think, DevMike can correct me if I'm in error, but if an uninstall is done, I think it does release the "seat", as I have uninstalled and reinstalled quite a few times on the current system, only time I ever had an issue was this go around.     And I know Mike is correct, the rating of my system actually was raised to a better level once the new graphics card was installed, so apparently that is what created the issue with my having the software drop back into Demo mode.     But I believe if you do a full and complete uninstall, then the seat is released, again, I know DevMike will correct me if I'm in error, but this is how I always thought it worked.

The only way to release a license is to ... wait for it ... there isn't one. Once you use a seat, it's used.

If you run out of licence seats the only resolution is to contact the LOR Help Desk. 99.999% of the time they take action to resolve the problem.

Re-installing on the same machine shouldn't cause a problem. However as we've seen here in this thread there are times when you may have to re-register the software. That may or may not take a seat. Doesn't matter though, just contact the helpdesk.....

Don is correct on all accounts.

In the 6 or 7 years I've been doing license resets, I can think of only one or two times where I have had to refer one 'upstairs' for something that just didn't look right.  Even those two were OK and reset.

Each time you register we have a record of it.  We also know what upgrades/renewals you have purchased etc.  I (and the others) can look at all that data and get a pretty good idea what is going on.  

Just like a lock on a door, the registration system just keeps honest people honest :)

Talk about precognition...........

Just upgraded to Windows 10. When LorTray started, found I was out of seats.  Put a help ticket in 10 minutes ago, maybe less and I'm already FIXED.

How about that for service on a Saturday evening?

If that was you DevMike, or whoever is manning the desk, Thank you

The only way to release a license is to ... wait for it ... there isn't one. Once you use a seat, it's used.

If you run out of licence seats the only resolution is to contact the LOR Help Desk. 99.999% of the time they take action to resolve the problem.

Re-installing on the same machine shouldn't cause a problem. However as we've seen here in this thread there are times when you may have to re-register the software. That may or may not take a seat. Doesn't matter though, just contact the helpdesk.....

Really??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I have only one left then...

Thanks Don and DevMike.  

Like I had stated earlier in this thread, I wasn't sure if uninstalling the software completely would release the seat{I thought it did}, hence why I stated, if I'm in error, I'm sure someone will correct me and let us all know how it really works.  

Now we do know, once the seat is used it can't be removed and then reused {you just can't start over like it was never used}.  Once the seats are all used up, only option is to put in a request to the LOR Help Desk and get the software operating again as you said.

Thanks for clearing that up! :)