Light-O-Rama Forums

Should I upgrade to S4?

ebrown1972

I upgraded to S3 advanced this past January. Should I now go ahead and upgrade to S4 and if so what is the difference? I have not kept up on the topics involving the upgrade. I already have some of my sequencing done for this coming year too. If I upgrade to S4 will it all be a new learning curve or is it truly only a new learning curve if I purchase the pro edition? I do have plans to update from advanced to pro but was planning to do that after this years display due to not wanting to learn something new in mid stream. Please give me some insight. Thanks,

Eric

If you've run some tests with S3, and are happy with it, then I'd see no need to upgrade to S4.

If you have been sequencing and not running into any problems, etc, then stay at S3. No need to upgrade.

However, if you are heaving into RGB/Pixels, or have very (very) large channel counts, then an upgrade to S4 might be worth considering.

Thanks for the reply Don. I will be using pixels this year and I do have a 12 ccr tree built along with 4 pixel arches. Next year I plan on adding even more pixels and will upgrade to s4 pro but for now I think I will stick to S3 until I am done with things for this year. Since I will be adding more and more pixels in the future s4 probably makes sense. Thanks,

Eric

I'm still on S3 Advanced but considering going to S4 which would be a free upgrade for me and another $50 additional to go with S4 Pro.......Could someone please tell me what the differences are between advance & pro?

Also I plan to start sequencing a 32 string pixel tree and was wondering if I should use S3 or S4 to do this 

The big thing that Pro gets you is the Pixel Editor and enhanced data format. Without going Pro, the biggest thing in my opinion that S4 gets you is Pixel strings in Visualizer which is a huge help in getting around the 1,000 fixture limit. In S3 every DMX or E1.31 pixel takes a fixture so it's real easy to hit the 1,000 fixture limit. With S4, an entire string of DMX or E1.31 pixels only takes a single Pixel. For example in S3 my Pixel tree and star took 960 fixtures. In S4 it's less than two dozen.