Light-O-Rama Forums

Windows 10 - yearly subscription fee?

MattBrown

Instead of complaining that Microsoft has the monopoly try some of the alternatives. I personally don't like Apple. There are free alternatives that are open source such as Ubuntu. I'm not sure if you take Ubuntu and install wine which is a Windows emulating software if it would work with lor. But I know you can take an old XP machine and breathe new life into it with this operating system it works well. And it's free.

For the same reason that former President of the National CATV Association And CATV Industry Lobbyist, Tom Wheeler, is now Chairman of The FCC.

If LOR was supported on Apple computers I'd leave Micro**** and buy an Apple myself.   I detest anything Micro**** does and sadly, seems we have no alternatives to their software{operating system} for PC's, if you really want to call it that!   If I could have stayed with it, I'd have stayed with Windows 3.1, I never had the issues I've had since with their software{again, not what I'd call it, but got to be nice here.}

What I want to know is how MS got to be a "monopoly" on the PC operating system, which I thought was illegal to stop any type of competition or competitive operating system for not only computers, but many things.    Seems we're now allowing companies to monopolize a lot of things which back in the early days just was not allowed.   Or at least that's how it appears to me.

Think about this. There are 3 main operating systems. Windows, Mac and Unix. Windows and Mac aren't too keen on allowing derivative operating systems to be developed using their code.

Unix, on the other hand, is. This is why you have Ubuntu Linux, Red Hat, Scientific Linux, and more. Writing software for each of these 3 OS' isn't something that anyone can do. Now add another OS to the ecosystem, and things get even more fragmented.

Take a look at Android/iOS. Same thing at play here. Apple doesn't allow anyone to duplicate their OS, and have strict controls over what applications can (or can't) do. This is why Pandora costs you $3.00 more on iOS than it does on Android. 

I could go on and on here ... but I'll stop.

For the same reason that former President of the National CATV Association And CATV Industry Lobbyist, Tom Wheeler, is now Chairman of The FCC.

And (thankfully) he's done more to tick off the CATV than everyone was expecting. He's actually been pushing for net neutrality instead of against it. That's 180 degrees from what everyone expected when he took over.

I think he is thankfully, under a lot of scrutiny from folks like us and the likes of Google.He can't get away with stuff like he expected.

Please don't let this devolve into a holy war between OS's.  

From the start of the PC, there have been competing operating systems.  IBM DOS/MS DOS/CPM/UNIX/Netware command lines, WIndows/OS2/Netware/*nix/SUNos/Xerox OS/Apple OS for GUIs (and dozens more I am forgetting -- including one I designed and wrote part of as a College project).  

The consumer however does not like competing technologies, and history is replete with examples:  78/33 LPs, 8 track/real to real/cassette,Beta/VHS, LD/DVD, HDDVD/BLUray, and dozens more.  For better or worse, the marketplace picked a single technology and that tech is what eventually dominated.  Eventually the choices all get whittled down to 2 and usually the more open or the better supported tech wins - other tech either dies or hides away and serves a niche.  

Will Windows ever fall away as an OS if it continues on its current track?  IMHO, Yes it will - and probably sooner than any of us expect.  However what will replace it is not going to be OS X no matter how much the 7% hopes that it will.  It will be a *nix variant with a GUI.  Open source (open is ALWAYS good), and cheap (free!).  Which brings us full circle and puts us back on track with the OPs intention of this thread:

Is Windows 10 really FREE?

You don't get to make stacks of cash in this world and not have vision.  Does MS see an OS revolution coming?  Is that the reason it wants to make Win 10 free?  Is it trying to become part of the revolution rather than fight it?  Could it be that Win 11 (or whatever it is going to be called) will not only be free but OPEN SOURCE?  Yes, I can see them doing/thinking/seeing that.  As another has said in this thread:  MS makes money on more than just Windows OS.  Could it give up the revenue from Windows in order to protect Windows penetration?  IMHO, YES they could.

But, and here is my reasoning on why I believe they won't:  Cash is addicting.  MS has been making money on selling OSes since its inception.  Giving up that cash is hard to do.  They also see how 'fees' have increased the bottom line for other industries.   Instead, I believe they are priming the consumer to start asking for $25 to enable Internet access/yr, $20 to allow the use of advanced graphics support (play games)/yr, $35 for patches and fixes/yr, etc.  Sure, the OS is free - but for it actually do anything useful will cost you $$$.  Just like buying a ticket to travel on an airplane, and then needing to pay a fee for a seat!

This link says MS is asking for $1.50 /MONTH to suppress the ads on Solitaire.     No doubt that will bring in tons of cash.

This enforces my position.  $18/yr for Solitaire.  I can see MS using this as a test bed of sorts....  

Now extrapolate:

Windows 10 - which is free also comes with Internet Access which is free.  But for $10/month (paid to MS on top of your Internet fee), MS will 'turbocharge' your internet:  The 56K/sec download speed restriction is removed, and the ads that are plastered on your screen when using the internet (by windows itself, not the browser) are removed.

Again, this is conjecture and respectfully submitted....

There are only 7% of you.  If you 7% want to get together and foot the bill (figure it being in the millions for S4), we will be happy to :)  Until then, we'll have to serve the other 93% of the world ;)

Just sayin....

Ya, I know.....most of those 7% like me are in the education world. I think a long time ago Apple donated some software knowing that institutions would need the hardware to run it. Seems like most schools use Apple products.

I like their laptops, never had a problem, but only use it at school. At home my LOR software runs fine on my 7 year old Dell mini. Just wish I could secretly work on sequences when I'm in a long boring faculty meeting listening to some blow hard admin talk about something that has nothing to do with me.

Ya, I know.....most of those 7% like me are in the education world. I think a long time ago Apple donated some software knowing that institutions would need the hardware to run it. Seems like most schools use Apple products.

I like their laptops, never had a problem, but only use it at school. At home my LOR software runs fine on my 7 year old Dell mini. Just wish I could secretly work on sequences when I'm in a long boring faculty meeting listening to some blow hard admin talk about something that has nothing to do with me.

Can't you get software to emulate Windows on your Apple?

Here is another source in agreement on what I have been saying:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/05/windows-10-charging/

Key Text:

"At this point it is important to state that Solitaire and Windows DVD Player alone cannot be held up as indisputable proof of an evil Microsoft master plan to trick users out of their money. That said both are clear indicators of how the company’s business model is evolving.

Having openly stated that ‘Windows as a service’ is the platform’s future, Microsoft is effectively taking a hit by giving Windows 10 away free on the gamble that it opens up the possibility of charging for add-ons. This can be as small as Solitaire and Windows DVD Player but can scale up to bigger features Microsoft has the right to push to users in trial form through Windows 10’s mandatory upgrades." (emphasis mine)

Here is another source in agreement on what I have been saying:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/05/windows-10-charging/

Key Text:

"At this point it is important to state that Solitaire and Windows DVD Player alone cannot be held up as indisputable proof of an evil Microsoft master plan to trick users out of their money. That said both are clear indicators of how the company’s business model is evolving.

Having openly stated that ‘Windows as a service’ is the platform’s future, Microsoft is effectively taking a hit by giving Windows 10 away free on the gamble that it opens up the possibility of charging for add-ons. This can be as small as Solitaire and Windows DVD Player but can scale up to bigger features Microsoft has the right to push to users in trial form through Windows 10’s mandatory upgrades." (emphasis mine)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2957365/windows/why-windows-10-isnt-really-free-the-subtle-new-world-of-built-in-costs.html

So, if you're looking for a new laptop would it be a good idea to buy it now before all the stores carry laptops with Windows 10 already installed on it?

I tried to see if the Win 10 upgrade would work on my system, it failed and says my system IS NOT compatible with it.   Now since my system CAN NOT support it, I just wish there was a way to make that annoying "Upgrade to Windows 10" icon go away {as in delete it entirely from my computer} forever!    But no way to remove it, if the test fails and states your system is "incompatible", why can't Microsoft be smart enough to allow the "Upgrade option" to just go away and not darken the corner of your computer with it ever again?    After all, if the system is incompatible and will never be compatible, why keep annoying folks with the option to upgrade when it isn't possible?

I've been doing some reading today and I think I'm going to go for it. If I don't replay again you'll know Bill Gates showed up and killed me.

• The topic was locked