Light-O-Rama Forums

Windows 10 - yearly subscription fee?

MattBrown

During the Pixel Editor class at Christmas Expo, there was a discussion about Windows 10 and whether people who upgrade would incur a yearly subscription fee from Microsoft. I did some research and statements from Microsoft clearly state that there will NOT be a yearly subscription fee. Here is my source:

http://www.winbeta.org/news/stopping-fud-there-no-yearly-subscription-fee-windows-10

If you have a rebuttal, please keep it factual and include a link to your source. We can have a pros & cons discussion of Windows 10, but lets keep that in a separate thread.

Thanks,

Matt

I am probably the one that started that rumor, and I will still hold to my convictions until I see otherwise from MS.

Microsoft has a way of not quite saying what they actually mean (see also this).  Their carefully crafted words leave open far to many holes.  Even that release you linked to doesn't explicitly come out and say 'There will NOT be any future charges for Windows 10 updates or features PERIOD'.  it says 'No annual fee FOR Windows 10'.  That still leaves the door open for MS to stick out it's hand at the end of the year and say 'If you want patches, you pay'.  Or even MORE insidious: "You can still use your computer, but you can't connect to the internet until you renew your subscription.", essentially making it worthless.

We only need to look as far as Intuit and what they pull every year with their "you have to buy the upgrade to download from your bank" -- when the Intuit connector hasn't changed in years.  Sure, you can use your Quicken, but it's nearly worthless without some kind of internet connectivity.  Microsoft has demonstrated their want of yearly income by testing the model using 'Office 365'.  XBox Live also makes MS some cash.  You can't play multiplayer games on their consoles unless you pay a yearly fee - even if the software was not WRITTEN by them.  I'm sure Windows 10 will have the SAME model.

Until I hear the magic words from MS:  "We will support Windows 10 with no functionality removed, at no charge to the end user for as long as the life of the device, or until at least (insert end of life date)".  I will continue to strongly hold onto my convictions.

So, Is all this a good thing or not?  I can't say at this time.  All of us software people do it, including us here at LOR.  If you want to move to newer versions, you may have to pay for a license renewal.  Fact is that it costs money to develop software.  The difference is that when you purchase a license for our software, there are no parts that will magically stop working after a year.  Something that MS has still not come out and said.

Unfortunately, since this is something MS hasn't said there is nothing posted out there to back up my claims.  It is difficult to prove someone didn't say something :)  Yes, that makes my words personal conjecture and not fact.  I could be wrong, but my experience in the field leads me to believe otherwise.  

Respectfully submitted.....

Purely speculation here. 

Could be why they are doing the upgrade for free. Get you hooked and then get you with the fees a year or 2 later. All we can do is wait and see.

I have my free upgrade reserved for all of my computers.

All of my current computers use Windows 7 and I am not planning on upgrading any of them any time soon. We will have a year from the release date for the free upgrade and I am hoping that more info will come out within that year. If MS does go to a yearly subscription then I will just keep what I have until the support runs out in 2020.

I will image my current install of W7 Pro before letting the upgrade loose on my machine. 30 minutes and I'm completely back.

Plus I can always go back and re-install W7 from scratch if absolutely necessary.

The MS FAQ's (for what they may be worth) say that you will be able to create an install media on bootable media for re-install purposes.

All of my current computers use Windows 7 and I am not planning on upgrading any of them any time soon. We will have a year from the release date for the free upgrade and I am hoping that more info will come out within that year. If MS does go to a yearly subscription then I will just keep what I have until the support runs out in 2020.

The year 2020.....Holy Cow!  Wasn't it just yesterday the Y2K fiasco had everbody in a hissy fit?

I have a feeling that Microsoft will have some kind of surprise down the road with win 10. I reserved windows 10 on My computers that are eligible for upgrade,But if they decide to start charging an annual fee I'll just go back to win 8.

Edited by TitusCarnathan

If they are giving it out for free.  Well - you get what you pay for.  lol

IMHO Microsoft software is crap.  I usually replace the soft in Microsoft with another four letter word that better describes their products.  I was once on the MS website using IE on Windows 7 trying to download a patch and the freaking thing locked up.  That is pretty sad in my book.

Unfortunately, there are not any good alternatives.  All the software out there is written to run on their platform.

Jerry

Edited by LORisAwesome

I think they owe it to us after Windows8. Also, Vista was bad.

The whole world uses it. They already have enough money.

Edit: I googled it and have completely changed my mind. It will be free to use for the "life of the device" and for new devices you will have to purchase it.

Some users will receive all updates, and some just security. Read more herehttps://redmondmag.com/articles/2015/04/01/subscription-model.aspx?m=1

Edited by EmmienLightFan

Just like always... MS will have features that will stop working after a short period or they will add more features that you have to pay for...

I am surprised that they still let my OFFICE @))& programs run on win 7 and win 8.1..

I was expecting to have to go out and spend another few hundred dollars.

I will probably have to after I run the upgrade for win 10... It will probably stop most or all my other programs that I have grown to like and learned how to use..

One of my best computers... win xp... and they zapped it so I couldn't hardly use it for anything... and now with many great computer games that became useless...

Is it me or does it seem like computers running Windows XP took a dump not too long after it hit it's end of life date.

Up until 3 weeks ago, my wife's Aunt had a machine running XP. Was nothing wrong with it, other than being sloooow. I was finally able to convince her to upgrade to something that is supported.

I'd be wary of running XP on any machine that was connected to the Internet. MS no longer provides security updates, thus visiting one website that's been compromised could adversely affect that machine, and possibly any others on your home network.

Maybe it's time to make LOR software compatible with Apple laptops? Just sayin....

There are only 7% of you.  If you 7% want to get together and foot the bill (figure it being in the millions for S4), we will be happy to :)  Until then, we'll have to serve the other 93% of the world ;)

Just sayin....

I'd be wary of running XP on any machine that was connected to the Internet. MS no longer provides security updates, thus visiting one website that's been compromised could adversely affect that machine, and possibly any others on your home network.

It's only my show computer that has xp on it. I'm not sure if I want to upgrade it or just keep it at xp.

Is it me or does it seem like computers running Windows XP took a dump not too long after it hit it's end of life date.

Nope.  In fact I'm typing this from an XP computer.  Got two of them here, and two at home (including my show computer).

BTW, MicroSoft is not the only ones getting out of selling permanent licenses for software.  I just got a letter from AutoDesk advising that they will end selling perpetual licenses next year...

If LOR was supported on Apple computers I'd leave Micro**** and buy an Apple myself.   I detest anything Micro**** does and sadly, seems we have no alternatives to their software{operating system} for PC's, if you really want to call it that!   If I could have stayed with it, I'd have stayed with Windows 3.1, I never had the issues I've had since with their software{again, not what I'd call it, but got to be nice here.}

What I want to know is how MS got to be a "monopoly" on the PC operating system, which I thought was illegal to stop any type of competition or competitive operating system for not only computers, but many things.    Seems we're now allowing companies to monopolize a lot of things which back in the early days just was not allowed.   Or at least that's how it appears to me.

For the same reason that former President of the National CATV Association And CATV Industry Lobbyist, Tom Wheeler, is now Chairman of The FCC.