Light-O-Rama Forums

Candy canes

beckntrav

I think I want to add 30 candy canes to the front of the house and have a chasing effect. Any recommendations on candy canes in the market and which you like best?

Has anyone used these?

https://www.atgstores.com/christmas-lights/northlight-sienna-e64k4111-lighted-outdoor-shimmering-candy-cane-christmas-lawn-stakes-set-of-3-_10979671.html?gclid=COv_l5a258YCFYVAaQodORUAog&af=2615&ppc=2615&ef_id=Vau2DQAAAeXexRg8:20150719143919:s#

Those are expensive, better off waiting until Walmart puts out their Christmas stuff in October. They are normally like $2.99 each

Agreed. Are they chained together into groups of three? Anyone tried cutting the wires and making them separate channels?

I bought single 110 volt candy canes at AMERICAN SALES  for about $3.00 a piece   28 inchs tall

Walmart is cheapest I have found. Especially, if they have any leftover once holiday stuff is marked down.

Really, want to try the coro rgb canes. Look pretty sweet!

I bought a lot of Walmart canes a couple years ago.... I dont know where or how you will be storing them but I live in S. Ca.

Had them stored in boxes in a storage shed over the summer...

When I was setting up last year I had to replace about 1/2 (30) of them because they are so cheaply made they got out of shape... Some straightened up, some twisted etc...

Not to much of a money loss but was a hassle having to go back and buy more..

If you want to cut them you will need to add like a night light etc to the string or they will burn out really fast because of to much voltage going to just one string..

I also alternated mine red and then green around the walk way from my drive way along the side walk to my porch area.

It will probably not warp and bend so much for you but it does get to 105f - 115f here a lot of time in the summer making it like 140f plus in my storage shed.

I bought 24 from Walmart about six years ago; store them in my shed here in AZ and haven't had any problems with them; maybe they were made differently when I got them.  As for cutting the groups of three apart, I would suggest not to do it unless you have some sort of reducing power supply.  Don't know how many bulbs are in each candy cane, but would speculate that if you ran more than 35-40 volts to each candy cane, you will blow all the lights.

I'm still liking my cheap Walmart canes. Gutted the incans and stuffed them with holiday time LEDs (50 count) from the after Christmas sale. Live in south Texas and they are stored in the garage. No problems so far

I bought a lot of Walmart canes a couple years ago.... I dont know where or how you will be storing them but I live in S. Ca... Had them stored in boxes in a storage shed over the summer... When I was setting up last year I had to replace about 1/2 (30) of them because they are so cheaply made they got out of shape... Some straightened up, some twisted etc... Not to much of a money loss but was a hassle having to go back and buy more.. If you want to cut them you will need to add like a night light etc to the string or they will burn out really fast because of to much voltage going to just one string.. I also alternated mine red and then green around the walk way from my drive way along the side walk to my porch area... It will probably not warp and bend so much for you but it does get to 105f - 115f here a lot of time in the summer making it like 140f plus in my storage shed.

Did you store a big fat Santa on top of them?

I had Canes in my 180deg attic for years with no deformities.

Gave them to my son when I went LED and he still uses some of them.

Ditto the Walmart canes. Ditto the after-Christmas shopping. (Unless there's specific quantities in specific colors that you want/need.)

Ditto the trouble-free storage. I've gone through a couple hundred, stored in a shed in full sun, some laying down and others hanging, and not a single one has warped in any way.

Walmart is cheapest I have found. Especially, if they have any leftover once holiday stuff is marked down.

Really, want to try the coro rgb canes. Look pretty sweet!

I built a pair of the coro canes I really like them. And they're not as hard to sequence as I thought they would be

I read about a technique where the lights inside the candy cane is replaced with rope light.  I think it was on DIYChristmas, but I don't have a link - sorry.

You could also get short LED strings from Val at ChristmasLeds.com.   They have short LED strings that should fit very nicely. 

Jerry

I have never had a problem with the cheap Walmart candy canes. I bought 16 of them last year for .50 each after Christmas. I will now have a total of 32 in my display this year. I bought about 8 of those 4 years ago and have used them each year with no problems and not a single bulb has gone bad.

Like most here Walmart is the way to go. I take a trip every year from the great white north to a Walmart in the Buffalo area to get mine.

Just be careful if they're too close to the road. The snowplow can/will snap them off pretty easy. Hence the reason I keep having to go to Buffalo to replace them!  :angry:

The only issue I have had with them is you can't really use the crappy cheap stake here in New England, they break when you take them down every time. I made some custom ones from 1/2" emt with my cutoff wheel in about 10-15 min.

Agree - cheap plastic stakes........but what do you expect for a cheap plastic candy cane from WalMart? I do have a bunch of spares in the waiting!

The only issue I have had with them is you can't really use the crappy cheap stake here in New England, they break when you take them down every time. I made some custom ones from 1/2" emt with my cutoff wheel in about 10-15 min.

Heck I am here in the mid-west (STL). I have gone over to using the small (1/4 or is it 3/8") rebar that is about 3' long and tie wrap the cane to it. I also drape from tip to next cane's tip a string of muli-color lights. So the rebar does a real nice job of keeping the canes upright and if I use two tye wraps the canes are less prone to turning.