Light-O-Rama Forums

Quick Couple of questions about the Pixel Dimming Curve setting

Ron Boyd

In a nutshell,

Considering my entire display, with the exception of a 270 LED star, my entire display is RGB Pixels, being Intelligent Nodes or Basic nodes.

What's the difference between the "Pixel" dimming curve setting verses the "None" setting?

What are the pros and cons to either? Should I use the Pixel curve?

All the LOR guys are at the Expo. The answer will probably come sometime this week. Was hoping someone on the forums would know, but it wasn't a show stopper. If this was November, I'd be a bit worried about time. Since it's July, it's not a "Have to know the answer right now".

For the most part, my sequencing is done for the year. I just have to migrate all of them to the Intensity Files format and then add the text for the matrix with the Pixel Editor.

Hi Ron, I was at Expo and attended Matt's class on the PE. Good class I might add.  If you do not check  "Pixel" dimming curve.  It will not have a smooth fade.  That's about as deep as I can go on it.  One thing I might add, that I did not know prior to the class.  If you sequence in the PE you will  not be able to sequence in the SE on those same props. It is one or the other.  In your case I don't believe that will affect you  .When your final show is running it collects information from both the compressed file from SE and the intensity file from the PE.  Hope this helps!

In the absence of any other intensity compensation, incandescent lights appear to dim linearly as the value in your sequence fades from 100% to 0%; RGB pixels do not. Some pixel controllers will fix this within the controller itself. For controllers that don't have this capability, you can set the pixel dimming curve in the Pixel Editor's prop definition. The best thing to do is to test this with your own pixel controller and pixels.

• Connect your pixels to your controller
  • Connect the controller to your computer
  • Start the LOR Control Panel
  • Open the Pixel Editor
  • Select Tools > Control Lights from the PE menu
  • Select Tools > Effect Generator
  • In the Effect Generator, select the preview and prop you are testing
  • Start a "bars" effect, set the "Show 3D" checkbox
  • Select 1 color from the palette
  • Set the direction so the bars move down the length of your prop.
  • Do the colors on the actuals lights (not the computer screen) look like they dim linearly?
  • Close the Effect Generator, go into the preview and modify the prop's dimming curve to the other value, then retry the test using the bar effect. Which looks better?

For those interested in the technical details, have a look at this article:

https://ledshield.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/led-brightness-to-your-eye-gamma-correction-no/

Hope this helps,

Matt

Using the instructions above, (have not tested this theory yet), my conclusion would be, whatever looks best on the actual lights, is the way to go, correct? 

The reason I asked this question is, when I play a sequence that is un-touched by the pixel editor, the display looks great, When it's is then played in the pixel editor, after migration to the PE only (Pixel curve checked), the display looks great. Once I have it saved back to the SE, and play it in the S4 visualizer with the Pixel curve, a fading chase, for example doesn't show up, just the head of the chase. It doesn't matter if it's a single pixel head or a 5 pixel head (sequenced in Superstar). The trailing fade does not show in the Visualizer. 

I have about 90% of my elements complete, so over the next couple of weekends, I'll hook something up and test using the above instructions. 

Thanks Matt for answering this question. I wasn't expecting an answer until later today or tomorrow, seeing that you guys were leaving the Expo last night. I figured you'd like to get some rest after the trip, so, it's greatly appreciated.