Light-O-Rama Forums

S3 Software not Installing Correctly on W7

Daryl

I have been forced to move from my XP computer to a used W7 computer. When I install the LOR software on the W7 and try opening the sequence editor a message pops up saying "Component MSCOMCTL.OCX or one of its dependencies are not correctly registered. A file is missing or invalid"

When I try to open the show editor, a different message comes up, "Component COMDLG32.OCX or one of its dependencies are not correctly registered. A file is missing or invalid".

Also, no folders loaded into My Documents to save the audio and sequence files.

Any ideas how to correct this?

Well, there are two issues here, and one of them is easy, so let's get that out of the way first:

Also, no folders loaded into My Documents to save the audio and sequence files.

This doesn't happen during the install process itself.  It happens the first time you (successfully) run any one of several programs (for example, the Sequence Editor).  So don't worry about it for now - it will take care of itself after the other issue is resolved and you can run those other programs.  Now as for the other issue:

When I install the LOR software on the W7 and try opening the sequence editor a message pops up saying "Component MSCOMCTL.OCX or one of its dependencies are not correctly registered. A file is missing or invalid"

When I try to open the show editor, a different message comes up, "Component COMDLG32.OCX or one of its dependencies are not correctly registered. A file is missing or invalid".

These are standard Microsoft files that it's complaining about. My guess is that something went wrong during installation.  So the first thing that I would try would be:

(1) Reboot.

(2) Close any running programs that you can.

(3) Uninstall LOR.

(4) Reboot.

(5) Close any running programs that you can.

(6) Reinstall LOR.

(7) Reboot.

Tried doing that at least 6 times, even turning off the antivirus and windows firewall. Tried installing from a CD I have and even directly from the LOR website. I was able to get the sequence editor opened by opening it a an administrator even though I log onto my profile as an administrator. When the sequence editor opened up that is when it said it couldn't find the folders in My Documents.

C:\Users\Daryl\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\ is the file or folder it can't find.

And no the folder is not there. I'm pretty sure the software automatically created the folders on my other computers when I did the install.

I just did a search and couldn't find anything with just sequences in the name.

Yes to both questions. I have files in the Documents folder that I can access. My user profile that I log on with has administrator privilidges. I have installed other programs and can open them with no problems.

Can you run the LOR Diagnostic utility? Does it generate output? If so, please send me (bob@lightorama.com) an email with the following information:

(1) Your forum username.

(2) This thread's URL, which is:

forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/36397-s3-software-not-installing-correctly-on-w7/

(3) A copy of the output from LOR Diagnostic.

No I can't get into the LOR Diagnostic. It comes up with the message "Component COMDLG32.OCX or one of its dependencies are not correctly registered. A file is missing or invalid".

I've learned this OCX file is part of Direct X but don't know to update or reinstall it. Internet  says to go to command prompt and unregister and then re-register the file. Didn't help.

It may be used by DirectX, but it's not really part of DirectX.  It's a pretty low level Microsoft OCX that's used by a whole lot of stuff.

When you go to the command prompt, unregister, and reregister, make sure to run that command prompt "As Administrator".  I don't just mean start it with an account that has Administrator access, I mean start it by right-clicking its icon and selecting "Run As Administrator" from the popup menu that will open.

If that doesn't help, please say exactly what commands you're typing, and exactly what responses you get when you type them, word for word, in full.

For anyone following this thread, I have found a fix. By right clicking on the  specific LOR icon and opening up properties, click on run as Administrator allowed me to open the sequence editor and all the other modules. Once I was able to open the sequence editor and finish installing the LOR folders into my documents, everything seems to be working. I'm sure this is just a work around but at least for now things are OK.

FYI, unregistering and re-registering the .ocx files from the command prompt did not work for me