Light-O-Rama Forums

S4 Pro Upgrade

Denny

I would assume 4.0.38 is going to feel like 4.1?

I'm not really sure what you mean by "feel like", and it's not currently known exactly what 4.1 will be, so I will just say that 4.1 will be different than 4.0.38.  Generally speaking our MO is that:

(1) Bumping the first number (e.g. 4.0.38 to 5.0.0) means something that we consider a very major update.

(2) Bumping the second number (e.g. 4.0.38 to 4.1.0) means something that we consider less than a "very major" update, but that includes new or improved features.

(3) Bumping the third number (e.g. 4.0.38 to 4.0.40) means something that does not include new or improved features.  For example, a bug fix release, or a documentation update.

These are not strict definitions; we decide each release's version number individually on a case-by-case basis.  And they don't really apply during beta periods - for example most of the releases we made from 4.0.0 to 4.0.38 (during the 4.0 beta period) each had new features; they weren't just bug fix releases.  But generally speaking, the above three things are how we generally behave.

And if I upgrade to to 4.0.38 (still at 3.15 advanced right now), I would get a free upgrade to 4.1? Or should I wait till 4.1?

If you renew or upgrade today, your license will be good at least up until version 4.6.  Additionally, if we release anything past 4.6 within one year of today, your license will be good for it too.  For example, 4.7, 4.8, 4.9999, 5.0, 5.9999, 9999.9999.

If you wait until 4.1 is released, then your license will be good at least up until version 4.7.  Additionally, if we release anything past 4.7 within one year of the date on which you renew or upgrade, your license will be good for it too.  For example, 4.8, 4.9, 4.9999, 5.0, 5.9999, 9999.9999.

Define "large number of channels" ?

Please

Sorry, there is no strict definition of this.  I would just be making up a number, and I'm not comfortable doing so.  I think the question is, is your show suffering perfomance issues, such as lag during certain parts of play? If so, there are various things you try to improve the situation.  Some of those things involve a Pro license.

It's worth the money itself, but add the renewal that is included with the upgrade, and it's a no brainer.

Define "large number of channels" ?

Please

In my humble opinion, and I'm quite sure this question is an opinion question, 10K channels would be a large number of channels.

I ran about 12k channels on S3 last year without issue. I know of at least one person who ran 25K channels last year on S3.