Light-O-Rama Forums

Chasing Across Groups

intertrashional

I have multiple groups that I want to chase across.  I would like to treat those groups each as 1 "channel" rather than the 20 channels that are within each group.  Say I have 10 groups each with 20 channels.  I want to chase across the groups in 1 second.  I only want 10 data points(one per group) each at .1 seconds apart, so that all channels within the groups behave the same way.  Currently I have only had luck chasing across all the channels, whether they are part of a group or not.  The current fade essentially breaks that 1 second long chase evenly across the 200 channels.  Long and rambing I know.

I don't know of any way that it can be done. I wish when the are grouped as one it would be treated as a group. If you expand it then it could be treated as each pixel in the group. Maybe someone can chine in with a better option or how to make it happen. Only other option I know is using the clipboards after you create them one time.

Jeff

Just tried it with 10 groups of 20 rgb channels.  It transforms the effect into a chase through the group and does not keep the effect intact.  Definitely an item for the wish list.

I tried it many time on my roof matrix which 81 strings or 50. Wish there was a option to select how you want to chase.

This would fall under the 'work around' category.

Since you have 10 groups, create a chase with 10 channels. Copy channel 2 to Group 2/Channel 1, Copy channel 3 to Group 3/Channel 1, etc. Then use the "Fill Vertical" command to have that chase fill the entire portion of the group.

I would then save the effect to a clipboard so you can use it again in the future.

I've had this trouble before.

The one way I found was:

1. Create a new group & copy 1 channel from each of your 10 groups into this new group ( you could name the group "chase" or whatever you want just so you know what it is )
  2. You should end up with 1 group of 10 channels 
  3. Make your chase on this new group.
  4. Take the first cell in this chase, copy it & paste it to your entire first group of 20 channels.
  5. Repeat for the second cell to the second group.
  6. So on & so on to the last cell & last 20 channel group.

Hopefully I explained this clear enough

Since you have 10 groups, create a chase with 10 channels. Copy channel 2 to Group 2/Channel 1, Copy channel 3 to Group 3/Channel 1, etc. Then use the "Fill Vertical" command to have that chase fill the entire portion of the group.

I would then save the effect to a clipboard so you can use it again in the future.

Looks like Don found a different way than me. :)

I was typing when he posted

This would fall under the 'work around' category.

Where is this "Fill Vertical" Command? It would help so much. right now i am just copying and pasting a million times.

Where is this "Fill Vertical" Command? It would help so much. right now i am just copying and pasting a million times.

I have'nt found that one yet, but I'm using 4.0.28. It might be in a later version.

As for pasting a million times you can use "paste multiple" It will give you the options for how many times + paste verticle or horizontal

Words mean things, and I goofed this one up. Darryl is right, it's the paste vertical command you are looking fo r.

the 10 verses 10 would work but the OP had 10 verses 20 so I asked for a upgrade to LOR.... Haha.. I take the long and hard route now to do it till I create the clipboards. BobO clipboard flipper comes into play here real fast.

I use the work around and the vertical paste. I keep a set of dummy channels in my config just for this.

Still a pain though. Would like to see chase options like past options where you could specify to chase across channels, across groups, across rgb channels, yadda..yadda

As for pasting a million times you can use "paste multiple" It will give you the options for how many times + paste verticle or horizontal

I wish i would have known about that sooner, That would be have been a lifesaver. Is there a keyboard shortcut for this?

Still a pain though. Would like to see chase options like past options where you could specify to chase across channels, across groups, across rgb channels, yadda..yadda

To add to that, It would be awesome to have an easier way to repeat a pattern down by dragging the mouse (like the "Fill" Tool). And possibly a "Paste Multiple" Tool on the Effects toolbar that would paste it down a set number based on a selection in a tool settings dialog (like for the intensity and fade tools).

I wish i would have known about that sooner, That would be have been a lifesaver. Is there a keyboard shortcut for this?

There's no single key for it, but you can do it in two keystrokes: Alt-E followed by M.  Alt-E opens up the Edit menu, and M then selects the Paste Multiple menu item from it.

There's no single key for it, but you can do it in two keystrokes: Alt-E followed by M.  Alt-E opens up the Edit menu, and M then selects the Paste Multiple menu item from it.

okay, i can do 2 keystrokes. A single keystroke for it sounds like something for the wishlist.