Light-O-Rama Forums

Will using this AC Water Pump fry my LOR Board?

JHolmes

I would run the pump full on or full off. If the pump has a ball bearing motor you could run it down to 40%. If it is a sleeve bearing motor then all on or off. Sleeve bearing don't lubricate correctly below 100% rpm's.

Hop this helps. 

You run pond/water fountain pumps at full voltage.  If you need to control flow, you do it via a ball valve before the pump.

BTW 2.1 amps for a 3000gph pump is really high. At that flow, extenal pumps are much more effecient.

You are going to blow the triac.

First, motors are inductive loads and triacs are for resistive loads.  We'll skip over the electricity lesson on that one.....

Second, the MAX current our triacs can support is 8A.  Anything over 8A for as short as ONE AC CYCLE will kill them.  A motor when not spinning is essentially nothing more than a short circuit until it starts.  The 2A rating of that motor is for when it is running.  To get them spinning, many motors have an inrush current of 8-10 TIMES the amperage rating shown.  You 2A motor could pull 16-20A start up current.  Fuses/Circuit Breakers/and the wires you are using can handle that inrush current for the couple of cycles it takes to get a motor to start spinning - and thus don't fail/trip/catch fire.  Triacs on the other hand are solid state devices.  1 cycle is all it will take to kill it.

There is a reason we say DON'T DO IT.  It's not because we don't want you to use our stuff, it's because it will break it.

For those people 'you have heard of who use our controllers for pumps', they are most likely using a RELAY between the controller and the pump.  You can do that all day long - at full on/off.

• Like 1

A $6 relay to save your $250.00 controller is money well spent.

T

Edited by tjflory

And if you dont need to dim it, and going to stay with an AC pump. Might I suggest that you get a Solid State Relay over a mechanical type relay. Mechanical relays have moving contacts. This will pit and get all nasty and fail. Solid State Relays can still go bad. But the failure rate is much lower than the mechanical relay. One thing that helps to extend the life of either type of relay is an arc snubber. Not to be confused with the snubber that people here use on their light strings. I am referring to a series resistor and capacitor across the contacts.

• The topic was locked