Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16KD unit stopped working

rick gorman

One of my controllers stopped working. It was fine. The cat5 cable should be fine since 3 controllers after this one are working. Hardware utility does not find it now. Tried resetting the board with no success. The LED is doing a double blink. Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Just to be sure, did you, power off controller, disconnect from network, reset switches to 00, power on, power off , reset switches to appropriate id # then power on, then reconnect to adapter using that controller only and try to connect or find it that way.

Check th com chip and make sure it seated still. Should be the 8pin chip. Power off first, you could try swapping them and see if it finds it then after using one from a good controller.

rick gorman wrote:

I'm still dead in the water with the one controller...an ideas would be appreciated...emailed support but no answer yet.

The Support email has done a belly up and is being rebuilt. We will most likely loose a few emails...Last I checked we were up to 57,000 emails restored but there is a way to go and we cannot check email until it is finished.

This sounds like the reset blink... (couple of quick blinks, short pause, couple quick blinks, short pause.... ).

That indicates that the unit IDs are not getting read properly and the controller thinks that the unit IDs are set to 0. Try setting the unit IDs to a value like '10' and see if the LED goes to the normal blink mode.

I tried a number of id's. None of them worked. The blink is a short on off followed by a slightly longer on. Spoke to Brian in support today. Sending a new microprocessor. Will let you know how I make out. Newspaper coming tomorrow evening for pictures. I will have to bluff a few channels.

I changed the microprocessor and now I get a fast blink only. The HWU still will not find it. Tried setting the values to oo and putting the jumper on the 18 pin connector. Still no luck. Tried 2 separate cat5 cables. The unit is inside now and was the only one connected for this. Dan please help.

rick gorman wrote:

I changed the microprocessor and now I get a fast blink only. The HWU still will not find it. Tried setting the values to oo and putting the jumper on the 18 pin connector. Still no luck. Tried 2 separate cat5 cables. The unit is inside now and was the only one connected for this. Dan please help.

It seems like the unit address logic or switches have failed. You said you put the jumper on the 18 pin header. If you put the jumper across the second row from the top, and the blink pattern changes to approximately two/sec (normal pattern when not connected to PC) then you should be able to set the unit address via software with the HWU and use the controller that way.

If you get a different blink pattern, what is it?

I was finally able to get a solid LED the next morning. Did the same procedure with the same cables. No idea why it is working now but for 2 nights I have a full show again. I was able to use the HWU to set the ID with the jumper on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed until Jan and then we will have to figure out what is up with it. I will send it in if necessary along with the other one with 2 bad channels.