Light-O-Rama Forums

Important CCB/CCP Questions

clodhoppers18

I am highly considering purchasing 4 sets of CCBs for my show on my new (ok, it is one season old) house. BUT FIRST, I have a few questions:

I see the CB100D has power line injector capabilities, allowing one to control it over the power line itself instead of running both power and data. Has anyone had success with this method and do we have information on specifics like how many can run on one power strip, is the throuhput of the power line injector going to be something that impacts the limits of the LOR CCB modules attached and where can I find one of these modules? Also, should I be concerned with timing if one controller will only be 25 feet from the power strip I have the pli plugged into versus another controller that may be on 100 feet of extension cord from the same strip?

I am going to be attaching these to my roof, is there a specific adapter that I would need to purchase that would hold either the CCB or CCPs better than others or do any C7 or C9 size holders work sufficiently well?

Is each CCB controller one CCR from the software license perspective or do I need to pay to upgrade my 4 count license to an 8 count license?

Should 4 CCB boxes be on a separate LOR network from my 2-16 channel G3 controllers for throughput sake?

Are the CCB boxes water proof or water resistent or do they need to be housed inside a container that prevents mositure contact? I lost a controller for my CCR a couple years ago but these seem to be simple aluminum with no water resistance built into them. The instructions state they re "weather resistant" but there are posts here of people with moisture issues so I wasnt sure if this is a recent thing or if it has always been claimed to be weather resistant.

Thank you all in advance and Im looking forward to the mad grab today!

Dustin

Edited by clodhoppers18

Clodhoppers18 asked:

> I am highly considering purchasing 4 sets of CCBs for my show on my new (ok, it is one season old) house. BUT FIRST, I have a few questions:

> I see the CB100D has power line injector capabilities, allowing one to control it over the power line itself instead of running both power and data. Has anyone had success with this method and do we have information on specifics like how many can run on one power strip, is the throuhput of the power line injector going to be something that impacts the limits of the LOR CCB modules attached and where can I find one of these modules? Also, should I be concerned with timing if one controller will only be 25 feet from the power strip I have the pli plugged into versus another controller that may be on 100 feet of extension cord from the same strip?

The power line control is a future capability.  You will need to run a standard LOR data network to the LOR CCB controllers.

> I am going to be attaching these to my roof, is there a specific adapter that I would need to purchase that would hold either the CCB or CCPs better than others or do any C7 or C9 size holders work sufficiently well?

I will let someone who has done that answer that question as I have not.

> Is each CCB controller one CCR from the software license perspective or do I need to pay to upgrade my 4 count license to an 8 count license?

The CCP and CCB can be run in two different modes.  One has one controller take 320 channels and feed both strings as a single controller.  The other has the controller function as if each string had a separate controller.  In other words, if you give the controller ID 01 for the first string, it would be 02 for the second.  I may be wrong about this, but I would assume that if operating as a single controller for both strings, it would only count as one.  From my understanding, the license limit is based on controller numbers.  In other words, a license level that allows 4 controllers will allow controllers 01 through 04 (regardless of the number of channels in that controller.  I have never paid much attention to that since I went straight to Advanced level license...

> Should 4 CCB boxes be on a separate LOR network from my 2-16 channel G3 controllers for throughput sake?

It would be better if they were separate unless you are running at high (500K) speed, in which case it would not be a problem.  Since your existing 16 channel controllers are G3, you can run them at 500K speed.

> Are the CCB boxes water proof or water resistent or do they need to be housed inside a container that prevents mositure contact? I lost a controller for my CCR a couple years ago but these seem to be simple aluminum with no water resistance built into them. The instructions state they re "weather resistant" but there are posts here of people with moisture issues so I wasnt sure if this is a recent thing or if it has always been claimed to be weather resistant.

They are supposed to be, but you are right, there have been reports of water problems.  I put my 3 CCP controllers under trash bags last year....

> Thank you all in advance and Im looking forward to the mad grab today!

Good luck in the sale (in 20 hours 19 minutes as I type this)...

Edited by k6ccc

@k6ccc, thank you for the info. The info on the power line control seems odd since they have it in the documentation for the controller. I wonder if it will be out by October/November?

I would love someone with LoR or experience on the licensing question to chime in if possible...

I like the idea of trash bags or something like this since it would help protect without adding bulk.

I can honestly say that I had 4 ccp controllers outside in the elements for part of November & all of December & one was still outside in February.

They went through freezing rain in November, then snow, then melting & freezing rain, then wet snow, then melting & more freezing rain, then snow, then rain & the lower three once taken down after Christmas had no water in them, but the one that was about 20 feet off the ground (in the open) stayed outside well into February & went through more snow & freezing rain. I never check it yet.

However using black garbage bags does help. I use bags to cover my regular controllers.  It certainly cannot hurt.

I just checked that ccp controller that was 20ft of the ground for any signs of water damage & there wasn't. So I also gave the lights a test by doing a re-set & the lights ran through the test patterns. This coming season they will be covered. 

Edited by lightzilla

Is each CCB controller one CCR from the software license perspective or do I need to pay to upgrade my 4 count license to an 8 count license?

The Superstar licensing is a little confusing (at least it was for me) I sent a msg to the Help Desk and this is the answer I got back. I can't recall the exact question but it had to do with me already having 3 CCR's and adding 3 CCP's. and would I have to increase my license. As they say with Superstar it's all about the channel count.

From the Help Desk

"The superstar license is based upon channels. It takes 150 channels to run 1 CCR. So the 2 CCR license will export 300 channels.

One CCP controller controls 2 strings for a total for 100 pixels. It takes 300 channels to run 100 pixels.

Each CCP controller is equivalent to 2 CCRs. So 3 CCP controllers is equivalent to 6 CCRs. Combine your 3 CCRs with the 3 CCP controllers and that is equivalent to 9 CCRs. That is more than what the 8 CCR license would export so you would need the 24 CCR license to export all of them.

You can write and save your sequences now and wait until you actually have your lights set up before you upgrade your license. The license is only a factor when you export the sequence to the sequence editor."

If your not aware LOR recently offered a generous price reduction and upgrade to Superstar. The new license level pricing structure is here as well.http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/35054-price-reduction-for-superstar-licenses-and-free-upgrade/

I mounted 3 CCR controllers in a 8" x 8" X 4" outdoor waterproof electrical box, I ran conduits for power and lan cables into it. I used all waterproof connections and was careful not to have any holes where water could run into. ie. all my conduits enter into the bottom of the box.  It has been outside in the Pacific Northwest for 4 winters and I haven't had any problems with them. I didn't leave much to chance.

Alan...

Edited by default

• The topic was locked