Light-O-Rama Forums

Weather shut down

bkdraft

Texan78 wrote:

You still have to manually flip the switch.

Have you ever used this method before?

What a switch - It's like sliced bread. If ALL else fails I can always remote in and disable the director (Change the time) and have the system do what I want. I typically go overly technical but it is just Christmas lights - but why.

Harrison

I know it may as simple as a switch, but you still have to manually flip it. What I am saying is compared to my set up lets say you are not home. The sensor triggers it prematurely or doesn't trigger until it is to late, etc. You have no way to know this if you are not home and the sensor is not going to recheck the conditions and turn it back on. High humidity with fog a mist can trigger those sensors. In my set up I don't warrant mist heavy enough to turn the display off unless the visibility is an issue and it becomes a safety concerned with guests. Those sensors also take a couple of days to dry out. So if you can a good rain one night and it shuts the display off it could take 3 days for it to dry out by design. Remember what you are dealing with, a sensor for your sprinkler system so you don't waste or over water your lawn. So on the day after it rains you disconnect it because there is no rain for that night and the system wont come one because it hasn't dried out. Then the next day it rains again, but the sensor is turned off because it hasn't dried out from the rain two days ago and you don't notice it or you are not home, your display will run in the rain until you manually have to shut it home. Another thing you have to worry about is if it is raining during the day and and everything drys up and clears up but the disks are still wet and then it gets below freezing that night. Those disks will expand and shut your system over that way too so your sprinklers don't come on while it is freezing.

It is a good idea, don't get me wrong, but you can not control every aspect like I can with my PWS and program. It is FULLY automated and I don't have to be at home at all and I have the comfort to know that it will go off and/or come back on if it needs to. Just because I have a $600 PWS, doesn't mean this same method can not be done with a simple PWS that is under $100 and it will be more effective then a rain sensor that you can not control.

• The topic was locked