Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie help

thunsicker

Just received my first controller, so I decided to mess around with sequences, so I went to the light o Rama site to download the free sequence and free music, the music I can find when I click new sequence but the sequence itself I cant? Not sure if its saved to the wrong spot or Im supposed to copy and paste it, go find it?  when I do find it in downloads its all just a bunch of words. (by the way im terrible with computers) Help me please????!!!!  

On the site that you download from: don't simply left click on download icon. Instead, right click then you'll see "save target file" or something to that effect. Click on that and you can save to your desktop location of choice

When you installed the software it created a folder titled "Lightorama". Inside that folder are subfolders. The one labeled "Sequences" is where the .lms file you downloaded should be placed. There is also a sub-folder titled "Audio". This is where you should place the audio file. Those two places are the default locations where LOR will look first.

When you open the sequence using the Sequence Editor, it will bark at you that it can't find the music file. You'll need to go to EDIT > MEDIA FILE and point it to the music file. As long as you leave the sequence file and the audio file in their default locations your life will be happier.

Maybe im crazy I don't see it? it is downloaded into my computer but is not in light o rama?

LOR installs 2 directories when you put it onto a machine.

The software is put into the standard Windows directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama. Do nothing with this directory.

The install puts the "working directory" where your Sequences and Audio directory are stored. This is what George was alluding to and my clarity. Look for Light-O-Rama in the My Documents folder of the user that installed LOR onto the computer.

Or simply do a search on your C:\ drive (typically) for Sequences. Unless the directory was moved or deleted it has to be there.

Edited by zman

I think I may see the problem it is saving as an XML file? I see it in my documents Light o Rama but cant open it in the actual program?

i did save target as   Like I said in first post im not real good with computers but I didn't think I was this bad   I think im just missing something here also if I put mouse over the light bulb icon it says disabled?

Edited by thunsicker

Like I said in first post im not real good with computers but I didn't think I was this bad  

LOL I'm not laughing at you, I 'm laughing with you. :P  We have all been there, we all made it thru. :D

I'm confused as to where your stuck, so I'll start at the begining.

Is the lightbulb you are talking about in the lower right corner by the time?  If so Right-Click and a dialog box should come up.  Scroll to Sequence Editor and left click to open. That should take you into the Sequence Editor, then you will have to load the sequences you downloaded from there. You can also try to just create your own sequences.

Perhaps a good place for you to start is here http://www1.lightorama.com/tutorials/

Don't give up, people will help, I'm just confused where you are at.

yes the light bulb is on right side by the time, if I put mouse over the light bulb it pops up light o rama   disabled?  I go to the sequences and the one I downloaded is not there? the sample ones are there.   The free one I downloaded from light o rama is not there?

You have to put that sequence into the sequence editor where you have it downloaded find it and open it the sequence editor should open with that sequence then save that sequence and It will always be in the sequence editor

In the video you save as LMS file every time I try to save its an XML file for the sequence

Change the file extension from xml to lms. I just tried it & it works.

The file extension is the letters after the last  " . " on a particular file.  Example - "Frozen.mp3"  Where mp3 is the file extension.

Sometimes windows hide the extension from view. To change this goto control panel then folder options under the view tab uncheck " Hide extensions for known file types" 

Then you should be able to see the file extension of the downloaded sequence.

In the video you save as LMS file every time I try to save its an XML file for the sequence

ahhh I see the reason for the confusion now. I use Firefox for a browser and it doesn't change the filename extension ie.  .lms I tried with the Google Chrome Browser and it doesn't the filename extension either. However when i tried it in Internet Explorer it only saw it as an .xml extension and would download as so. If you weren't aware of this then I understand the confusion on your part, we're telling you one thing but IE has thrown a kink by changing the filename extension.

I have no explantion as to why IE would do this other than it is an xml file, but to be loaded into LOR Sequence Editor it needs to have an .lms file extension.

To add to what Darryl said above after you do those steps, to change the filename goto Windows Explorer located in Start->All Programs->Accessories->Windows Explorer. Run it and navigate to My Documents->Light-o-Rama-Sequences find the file name "VeryMerryChristmas-RFM-Neosounds.xml" right click it and change to "VeryMerryChristmas-RFM-Neosounds.lms" <-minus the quotes, then try it in Sequence Editor, Let us know how it works out.

Your confusion is now understandable to me. People on the Forums are generous and helpful with their knowledge, but I think nobody ever ran into this issue and the advice offered was good just didn't deal with the main issue. If you plan to sequence your own stuff this shouldn't be an issue as the Sequence Editor will save it correctly, however if you were to buy Sequences you may have to go thru this again.