Light-O-Rama Forums

do I need to add another network?

Jim Hans

I have been running 10 LOR controllers on one network using the DC-MP3 for the past couple of years with no issues at all.  This year I am adding two CCP's to the mix.  Will I have to add another network now that I am adding essentially 600 more channels?  If  yes, my current DC-MP3 will not work.... I believe the new G3-MP3 can handle two networks????

Just trying to plan ahead.  Thanks for the input. 

Should be OK.

The general rule of thumb I have seen here is 6 CCRs (or about 900 channels) per network.  You are looking at 760 so you should be OK.

Hi Jim,

Jim is right, you should be ok. Why not plan for the future?  Are you really going to stop at 600 channels?  Probably not, very few of us did.  Also this assume your running at 500K, which I'm not so sure you are.  I know some of my older LOR 16-channel controllers will not operate at 500K so I have to use 115K.  If I were you, I would go ahead and setup the new (CCP) channels on a new network running at 500K.  Once you have this in place it will be easier to upgrade in the future and there will be no concerns that your overloading your single network.

Just my thoughts....

I run all of my regular controllers on the regular network. I then have 4 ccp's (1200 channels) on aux A and 3 more ccp's on aux B. I run the ccp's at 500k and the regular controllers at 115k due to having an older controller that will not work at 500k. I have not run into any issues with this set up. If you do plan to add more channels in the future I would probably opt for a computer over a director unit. If not the G3 director unit will be just fine.

• The topic was locked