Light-O-Rama Forums

Help with CCP macros in Sequence Editor

Jim Hans

So I just bought a couple of CCP's to make 4 arches (50 pixels each) and have been playing around with programming them in the sequence editor.  With just 4 arches I don't think I will need superstar.  I have been able to get them to do what I want when I program the 50 RGB channels... different colors, fades, chases etc.  I am now trying to figure out how to use the macros as that seems like the easiest way to program them.  There in lies my problem.

So for macro 1-fill from controller to end.  This works.... I set my 50 RGB channels for blue for 3 seconds.... I set channel 152 to 1% intensity for 3 seconds.... I do a fade up from 0-99% over 3 seconds on channel 154 and just like it is supposed to the pixels turn blue and fill from the controller to the end over 3 seconds.   This works with macros 2, 3 and 4 as well.  Great... I am all excited as I now think I am becoming the pixel guru!  But oh no.... reality check sets in....

So now to the macros I really want... the chases.  Macros 5 and 6.  For the life of me I can't get them to work.   I keep my 50 RGB channels set to blue for 3 seconds.   I set channel 151 to nothing as I did with all the other macros.  I set channel 152 to 5%, I set channel 154 as a fade up 0-99% over 3 seconds.  I have tried leaving channel 153 blank, setting it to 42% intensity... and I don't get what I expect which is a 3 second chase of blue lights.  Mostly, I either get all the lights to turn on blue at once or some kind of random flashing of lights that even a drunk couldn't consider a chase.....

So, obviously I am missing something pretty basic here and after spending 6 hours today on it I can't for the life of me figure it out.  So.... if someone can get back to me with what I need to set all my channels to so that, like my other tests above I can get a 3 second long chase in blue I would appreciate it.  Thank you in advance. 

What?  Six hours trying to figure out macros?  Don't stop now.  You're closer to a world record than you might think.

Take a look at Macro Maestro on my software page   or directly here

151 of nothing or zero means to use the default which is part of the CCR controller configuration set in HWU.  Its default is 50.  So that means you need to set the color for all 50 pixels. 

For macros its a lot easier to get the hang of it when you start with the whole string a single color.  Set resolution to 1 and set a color on pixel one only. 

Edited by ItsMeBobO

Take a look at Macro Maestro on my software page   or directly here

151 of nothing or zero means to use the default which is part of the CCR controller configuration set in HWU.  Its default is 50.  So that means you need to set the color for all 50 pixels. 

For macros its a lot easier to get the hang of it when you start with the whole string a single color.  Set resolution to 1 and set a color on pixel one only.

I tried that too and still couldn't get it to work. I'll look at your software tomorrow but I am still hoping for a solution as to how to make it work in SE. The software may make it easier but I still like to understand it.

A good chase is timing. Channels 153 and 154 should be set already if possible. (no other macros using them) Use set numbers, not fades.

I would start with 153=12 and 154=50     (1light on 2lights off  speed=50)

Then turn on 152=6 to start the mask, and turn on ALL the lights if not already on. (I like to fade the lights up here.)

Remember that the chase effect is a mask. ALL the lights have to be ON to show in the chase. (just like with the fills)

Now you can play with the speed (channel 154) to get use to the different speeds.   I very rarely use fades to change the speed, and a 3 sec 0-100% fade would not look like a chase.

I think the fade on the speed channel is your main problem. use a set number.

Another way is to start with 152=6    and this will mask the whole string black as long as 153=0    then you can set up the speed and the color(s) of the pixels and then set 153 to a proper number to start the chase.

Lots of ways to do it, but for a smooth effect you need to 'stagger' the setup of the chase. Setting all the parameters at the same time is glitchy looking and not consistent. 1/10 of a sec. makes all the difference.

Hope this gets you started. Happy sequencing.

Thanks... that helped and worked.  I guess the problem is in what I was expecting.  It appears that macros 5 & 6 aren't what I would call a chase... that is a group of pixels chasing from one side to the other... but it is more like a marquee movement, a continuous chase.  Not what I was hoping for but it is what it is. 

Glad to help.

You can use a fill for what you want, use channel 153 to set number of pixels to move instead of a full fill. It's not perfect, and starts with no pixels lit and ends with the number of pixels you move still lit. To make it smooth I keep channel 154 above 0 so that the pixels all stay on.

Keep above...1 for 1 pixel, 3 for 2 pixels, 5 for 3 pixels etc. (Every 2)

Or for double fill 1 for 1 pixel, 5 for 2 pixels, 9 for 3 pixels etc. (Every 4)

So for a 4 pixel move, fade 154 from 7% to 99% or for a double move from 13% to 99%

You can go from no pixels and move over and end with no pixels, but that's tricky as you have to switch from fill out to fill in or visa versa.

Hope this makes sense. Take care.

• The topic was locked