Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie to RGB. Controller hookup questions

packen

Been doing LOR for two years now with 4,  16 channel controllers. This year I want to add a 12 string smart pixel mega tree. I have the ECG-P12S controller and power supply but I'm not sure how to hook this up to my other hardware. I have one 50 pixel string already and more on order. I would like to play with this one string a little to get familiar what it will do but don't know how to hook the controller to my computer and what is the best software to use to sequence my tree. I should be able to figure this out but I am confused. I have my controlled configured and it will run in test mode.

Google ECG-P12S and you will see that there is a topic on this in the LOR forum. Click on it and it will take to the discussion. I think it was start in 2013. It looks like what you are needing.

I hope it will help you. 

OK, read that. It does help somewhat but still confused whether or not I need to use the USB485 or if I just plug the cat5 from the P12S directly into my computer.

Thanks for your help.

Try this: Google How to connect ECG-P12S to computer. You  with see a youtube for ECG-P12S hardware setup. Looks like to need to connect to your computer with a cat5 cable from your controller.

Ok, I have the P12S so I can tell you how to do this. Its easier than it sounds. The P12S card connects to the computer via TCP/IP. It is not on the RS485 buss from LOR and DO NOT CONNECT IT TO THAT BUSS. You will fry something for sure. The card connects to the computer via a Cat5/6 cable to the network port on the computer. To talk to the card's firmware, you'll need to change the IP address of the computer's port to something in the same realm as the card. The card's default port is 10.10.10.10. Your computer will be on something like 192.168.1.1 or whatever. Change the port to something like 10.10.10.50. Use the browser and enter 10.10.10.10 and you should see the card appear in the browser. This card is running E1.31 which is DMX over TCP/IP protocol.

There's other things to do of course make this communicate with LOR. In the LOR network preferences, you need to assign the universes to the card's IP address and then program or sequence your lights to that device. To get it to control the lights, you'll need to launch the LOR Control Panel which will in-turn, launch the "listener program" which is what does the actual communication.

Now before doing all that, you can configure xLights to test your pixels, strings and etc...same thing applies, you tell it which IP address to the card and what you have connected to it in channel assignments.

Edited by dgrant

• The topic was locked