Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Question: Do I Need a Sub Panel for 2 Controllers?

coachdove

I've seen these as well. They also had an led string that the bulbs looked like regular incan minilights. Had to read the package to make sure that they were led. You couldn't tell the difference. I think they were phillips brand.

Darryl, yes, they are Phillips brand, since that is the main line Target carries.  When I first saw them burning, I thought they were incans, they lit *exactly* like a clear incan would.  And I saw the sign above them stating they were LED, but I thought, well, someone goofed and put the wrong sign and info above them.   Looked at the box as you did, and couldn't believe they were LED's.    

Now if they could make solid color strands that looked exactly like their incan counterparts, like they have with the clears, that would really be awesome.     Thus far, I haven't come across any solid color strands that mimic those clears as yet.    

Maybe we'll see some this year, but seems most retailers either sell clear or multi, no single color varieties, or if they do get them, they are very limited in the amount they carry.

Edited by Orville

Really appreciate all the ideas here guys!  You've all given me a lot to think about and consider.  Will probably look into getting the warm white LED icicles and forego putting in the sub-panel for now.  Down the road a couple years, as I add more controllers, I'll revisit the idea.

Thanks for the input guys!  My problem with going to all LEDs is my wife doesn't like the look of the pure white LEDS or the regular colored LEDs.  She prefers the warm glow of the incandescent lights, saying the LED's look too much like computer lights.  And the only way I can get her "approval" of my new hobby is to include her on the decision making/design of the display.  The LEDs I use currently are the warm whites M5's and the green and red M5's so they mimic the look of incandescents.

Holiday Lights express has LED mini lights that look like incandesant HERE.

There presale ends today FEB 28

• 5 months later...

This thread is exactly what I needed to see!

I'm a newbie - planning to have LOR for 2016.  This year we're just figuring out what exactly we have, how much power it uses, and a possible layout for next year.  Then we'll buy LOR after Christmas and go from there.

One concern I had was about power usage - and the OPs post is EXACTLY as we have experienced and done.  Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the information posted here.  We were debating on what to do to make sure we had enough power (and thought about subpanel, second panel, more breakers, etc.).  I'm going to show this thread to my husband so that we can make our decision.  We have a mix of LED and incans, and I think this year we're going to put down in a spreadsheet exactly what each item uses and pulls so that next year we don't have to scratch our heads in confusion and concern!

I'm about %90 LED's. Last year was 144 AC channels, E1.31 controller and 2 CMB24 DC controllers. I ran the whole lot off two 20 amp outlets and it raised my electric bill $12 for the season. Yes, like others too, I tripped the GFI's when rain come pouring down but otherwise all was just fine. This coming year, 176 AC channels and another E1.31 controller otherwise all is the same.