Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR outputs acting bad on 240volts

pokietech34331

Hi I'm from Australia and my LOR controller (16 ch Kit) has been tested AOK BUT!!

I am running 16 mini trees all at 24 vac. they are powered from lor via a 240-24vac transformer. The first night of my show all was AOK. The next night most of the trees turned hard on and stay on. After a few tries to get them to work correctly I gave up. The next night I reconnected them up and all was fine again. The following night havock again. It appears as though the transformers are not loading the lor outputs enought to get them to switch. This theory is becaues my other lor controller was doing the same thing and I put on each output a 40watt bulb to draw more current. This works well and I can hide the bulbs in the garage but the lor controller that controls the mini trees is outside and I cannot put 16 bulbes outside. This would kill the effects I want. Does anyone have any ideas how I can eliminate the bulbs and keep my mini trees working correctly.

Many thanks in advance

David

dsusher1@dodo.com.au

Kingaroy QLD Australia

pokietech34331 wrote:

Hi I'm from Australia and my LOR controller (16 ch Kit) has been tested AOK BUT!!

I am running 16 mini trees all at 24 vac. they are powered from lor via a 240-24vac transformer. The first night of my show all was AOK. The next night most of the trees turned hard on and stay on. After a few tries to get them to work correctly I gave up. The next night I reconnected them up and all was fine again. The following night havock again. It appears as though the transformers are not loading the lor outputs enought to get them to switch. This theory is becaues my other lor controller was doing the same thing and I put on each output a 40watt bulb to draw more current. This works well and I can hide the bulbs in the garage but the lor controller that controls the mini trees is outside and I cannot put 16 bulbes outside. This would kill the effects I want. Does anyone have any ideas how I can eliminate the bulbs and keep my mini trees working correctly.

Many thanks in advance

David

dsusher1@dodo.com.au

Kingaroy QLD Australia

It sounds like the inductive load is not allowing the triacs to turn off. That is a problem with inductive loads on triacs. We do not have snubber circuits on our cards that would help but we do use snubberless triacs (which work without a snubber circuit in many cases). The lights help change the nature of the load to a more resistive nature so they work. It is not the amount of the load but the type of load that is causing the problem.

I do not have a good answer for you at this point. If you are handy with electronics or know someone who is we can show you what a simple snubber circuit looks like (only a couple of parts) and you could try one out.

Dan

pokietech34331 wrote:

I am running 16 mini trees all at 24 vac. they are powered from lor via a 240-24vac transformer. Does anyone have any ideas how I can eliminate the bulbs and keep my mini trees working correctly.

David, It seems you have at least 2 controllers so...... If you can split the 16 mini-trees over 2 of the controllers then you can connect a single 24vac feed of sufficient power to each of those controllers to run the trees. You will need to split the power feed to the boards by removing the "hot" and "neutral" links, feed 240vac to the RIGHT hand side of the board (channels 9-16) and 24vac to the LEFT hand side (channels 1-8) Connect 8 trees (minus their transformers) to channels 1 - 8 of each of the controllers. I use this configuration to drive my low voltage light sets.

Martin