Light-O-Rama Forums

Pc needed?

Quefol

Hello I need help in deciding what notebook I sould get for next years display I am looking at using about 2500 rgb channels with lor s3 software and supper star addon for sequence editing what pc specs would someone need

• Like 1

I would look at an Intel I5 processor, 8 gigs of ram, if you want Speed, look at the SSD drives, make sure the video card is atleast 1gb as the visualizer can eat resources. :D

Keep in mind LOR version 4 will be coming out sometime this year (hopefully).  It will be a complete rewrite so you may want to wait and optimize your new machine to the specs of LOR4.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214613

This is the one I've used for the last 2 years. I ran almost 12k total channels last year including 2 Pixel Trees

The site says it's out of stock, but I'm sure with a bit of Google, you can find it.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Someone else asked almost the same question within a few hours of your question.  You might want to take a look at that thread at:

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/35199-need-new-laptop-to-run-show-recommendations/

I will let you read my rather long reply there rather than typing it all over (or a copy and paste)...

I just now ordered a replacement show computer in anticipation of the new software. My existing show computer ran fine but I knew it was pushing limits since it was put together from someone's trash...literally...I refurbished it and fed it XP. It did surprisingly well for what all I ran...144 channels, 12 sting pixel tree with a P12S controller, plus two CMB24's and ELL's to command. Anyway, new computer will be a formal Dell workstation, dual dvi, xeon CPU and a 750gb drive. It only comes with 4gb ram so I'll upgrade that once I receive it. I think it'll handle just about anything for years to come and if not, I'll upgrade it.

I have used an old HP with a 2.8 ghz dual core processor and 3 gig of ram, granted that was only with 32 channels. I am upgrading to a machine running dual processors and 16 gig of ram, but only because I happen to have a G5 server not being used, and I am concerned that the old machine wont be able to run 80 LOR channels and the RGB pixels.

I think this is more a subject of how fast the computer architecture is compared to the number of commands being issued to it, for commanding the various ports on it...USB, COM, TCP/IP and etc...Most people wouldn't have a clue of what is fast other than going by CPU speeds which is their only real number they are told about. GPU speeds help but its internal to the GPU and the CPU runs the architecture along with processing most of the commands. One indicator is the memory type therefore speed. It connects directly to the buss therefore the faster the memory is, gives a little creedence to the architecture. For most people, a normal/regular computer will be fine. I think a more robust machine is in order when it comes to super high channel counts and using high count RGB's. We each have our opinions on this.

• 3 weeks later...

I have tested my old Lenovo r61 with 2100 plus channels and it works just fine. I have just 4 gig of ram with 3 usable and 1.80ghz running windows 7 pro. I have no lag and no issues. I have 4 residential controllers on the regular network and 4 ccp's on aux A and 3 ccp's on aux B with both using usb485hs. Everything ran smoothly!!!!

I'm using separate computers for my show & sequencing. Your show computer does not need to be anything special. You'll need something beefier if you going to have a high channel count. Last year my sequencing computer was an old toshiba satellite 1.8 Ghtz single core with 2 Gigs of ram & I managed to sequence 12000 channels. This year I just purchased a newer I7 4th gen 8 gigs of ram because the sequence editor kept hanging up when I tried to add another 6000 channels.

Things might also change when the new LOR software appears. So far, all we've heard is rumors so computer hardware requirements might or might not change. The simple fact is that the more commands we're processing, the slower it'll run, therefore more enhanced architecture is needed to keep the speeds up. I'm not saying that an older machine won't work with the newest version of software, it most likely will, but each of us will need to test our systems to insure we're good to go for showtime or be ready to replace the computer with something faster.

• The topic was locked