Light-O-Rama Forums

Basic DMX question

Kbalser

I have just started this process of learning and hace one 16 CH lor starter kit and upgraded to the advanced software. I was able to make the led lights on a string work by programing the channels no problem, Then I had this idea about DMX bought a board 27 CH and some dumb strips. I am using a LOR USB R485. I can get the DMX to work if in a differant port on my computer than the com port the was originally set up with the 16 ch controller. I can not get them both to work together. I have the cat5 from computer - lor usb adapter - LOR 16ch unit - DMX27ch board. It flashs like communicating but nogo lighting the dumb led strips. It is either one or the other but not both.

you have to set up two networks one lor 1 DMX. You can use the USB R485 but you need a crossover cable to connect your DMX.a USB R485 can be used for DMX but not preferred. A Dongle from holiday coro would be more reliable.

Yes.  You would run your LOR controllers from the existing USB 485 and run DMX through one of the other USB connections.  You will need a dongle (Holiday Coro or Enttec) or a crossover cable (REALLLY recommend the dongle) for your DMX, When you add Smart Pixels best bet is to add a E1.31 controller through the Ethernet connection on your computer.  All three will run well together.

David at HolidayCoro has a DMX starter kit that is good to experiment with, both a dumb and a smart kit with all you would need to experiment with and use later as well.

I was trying to use just one dongle. I guess that is part of the problem by reading post. If I use two of them and create a show with the lor software it will communicate with both ports one the same music sequence?

Yes, the LOR software can support more than 1 dongle. It might require an advanced license. The LOR software can support several dongles and many E1.31 DMX universes, as well as some other older protocols.   If you just want to use 1 dongle, then you can run your LOR controller in DMX mode. However, as others have mentioned, the LOR pin-out is not a standard DMX pin-out, so you will need to make a cable to roll over from the LOR pins (4 and 5) to

the DMX pins (1 and 2) if using Rj45.   in order to daisy chain a DMX device off the LOR controller

http://www1.lightorama.com/Documents/DMX-DOC.pdf    is a useful doc to reference

Tim

Edited by Tim Benson