Light-O-Rama Forums

First year Down Now some Questions!

BCBjorklund

HI All, Back in November we decided to go ahead with the musical light show! With a limit of about 3K start up and old inventory of misc lights. We Started on November 16th with deciding what to purchase. This is what we came up with:

Purchased LOR:

1 Started Kit with license Residential 16 Channel controller, USB booster

3 Residential 16 Ch controllers add on

1 FM Broad caster

5 Prebuilt sequences(non-editable) MISTAKE

I purchased 50 extension chords of various sizes= $480.00

I Purchased about 16 225ct LED light strings from Wall mart

After setting up and running a week we had a windstorm that broke my incandescent icycles so we went back and bout all LED's for the front and side of the house,

The rest are a accumulation of incandescent lights for the last 6 years-- might make it another year but will need to be replaced soon.

here is the link to one of the sequences: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR6vdrGnKIs 

Now the questions:

1) I did not know how to bring in the 4th control when the pre-built purchased sequences only allow 48 channels? what to do?

2) I plan on adding two more channels for a total of 6 next year. We are adding lights in two 80ft cedar trees and one Cherry Tree, adding ridge line lights LED blue & white to tie in the edges, Possibly multiple wooden fixture characters with floods, a Merry Christmas sign 12 ft high by 10ft wide, a Santa with Sleigh & Reindeer suspended from fireplace to the new trees going to bring in, and 200 ft of walkway temp rail fence with lights and adding two more arches.  Any Suggestions?

3) if you look at the sequence you will see that the one tree is made up of two colors red & Blue, I am debating on color for the cedar trees and the cherry which is about 110 feet away.

we plan on adding probably another 15 thousand lights for next year.

4) where is a good place to find the lights cheap but better grade than wallmart

5) what do you use for the roof lights in asphault shingles

6) What do you use for extension chords?

7) I have all 4 and two feature controllers placed in one location, the distance from controller to furthers point is 100 ft. any suggestions.

Thanks you Bruce

About the cheapest lights are at BigLots but its too late for now to pick them up. The better lights that will last longer are in the various vendors CDI, Holiday light express and so on. They cost more but they are generally a higher quality, After christmas sales is the best time to acquire lights due to prices. Do not ever buy "Martha" lights from HomeDepot. They do not dim/fade and there's been a report of someone having them catch on fire. Use SPT1 or SPT2 electrical wire with vampire plugs as this will save you a lot of money on extension cords. Run LED's before running incans if possible due to the power draw is significantly less and they look really nice. For the roof, I use longer runs of Phillips LEDs from Target as they come in 65 foot rolls but they are one color only. For your standing framed fixtures, you can illuminate with LED floods, which are easily found these days, assuming they are the dimmable type.

Lots of other possibilities to consider too....Dumb RGB strips which is where the entire strip is one color but any color and you change it on the fly in the sequencing. Smart RGB pixels/nodes are where each individual LED is addressable. You can do chases, color changes, fades, twinkles, shimmers and so on. When these are put in combination with each other in a megatree or matrix, you can do animation. Both types, dumb and smart require power supplies, enclosures and special controllers. There are also curtain strobes for a sparkling effect but they don't fade, strictly on/off. So many possibilities but it all depends on what you wish to create and see out there. Sequences are best done when you do them yourself as opposed to a premade sequence. OR, you can pay someone to sequence your show for you. In some cases though, pixel/CCR sequences for a pixel/CCR tree, there are guys in here who really know what they are doing but you have to pay for those of course. It takes talent, pure and simple. 

Each of our shows is a work of art and no two are the same. You are the artist and its whatever you wish to create is what will be seen in your vision.

Edit: After typing all that, I just now looked at your video and you are way past most of my advice. It looked pretty nice! I agree about the sequencing.

Edited by dgrant

Thanks you for your response.. okay I visited those light stores and saved them. I notice they have pre-order sales but still cost more that Walmart or Target..     I have been looking at RGB but not sure I am ready yet. Using SPT1 or 2 what is the difference? I know the shielding is a lot less than a reg extension chord  which would be nice!

The difference between SPT 1 and SPT2 is there insulation/ current rating.  If you are running LED's SPT1 is easier to work with, but make sure which ever one you pick that you get the matching Male / Female ends.

WIth LEDs, the difference is neglible. Now if running incans, you would have to pay attention to the current therefore the wire size might indeed matter

Thanks you for your response.. okay I visited those light stores and saved them. I notice they have pre-order sales but still cost more that Walmart or Target..     I have been looking at RGB but not sure I am ready yet. Using SPT1 or 2 what is the difference? I know the shielding is a lot less than a reg extension chord  which would be nice!

The difference in quality, at least in the opinion of all of us who buy our lights from the online vendors during their pre-season sales which are going on right now, is more than worth the difference in price compared to what you get from Walmart or Target.

IMO, the two places where you DON'T want to go cheap in this hobby are the things people see and hear. Meaning the lights and the FM transmitters.

That's a very good point and something not to be ignored. The online vendors cost more but the quality level is considerably better.

another not buying online..you can always expect the quality and consistency year after year. and if you have issues with a string they are easy to work with. i buy my LEDS from HLE and have always been happy with them and they seem to have the best prices. You should jump on all the sales as some are ending now.

Thank you all! Will definitely get some lights ordered this week.the transmitter I bought through lor and quite frankly it is hissy at 40ft at 120 ft it is in and out.. I need something that is clear to about 250ft..any suggestions..I hate wasting money and I think I did on this one. Unless there is a way to dial it in clear.