Light-O-Rama Forums

My new adventure

ctmcpeak700

I am about to purchase 2 controllers and the fm transmitter.  I have already downloaded the software and have been playing with the sequence editor.  I have plenty of power (400 amp service and no less than 6 empty breakers).  I am an electrician (mostly industrial and commercial).  So that part is all set.

Here's my question:  What kind of lights do I need to buy?  Will simple led's work? Or do I need some sort of special lights?  Has anyone ever bought lights on eBay?  If so, is there a fairly reputable seller that you could recommend?

My house is a 2-story colonial with 2 columns on the front, a sunroom (with a balcony above it), shrubs running on either side of the front door, and shrubs running perpendicular to the house out to the street.  There is also a chimney and dormer on the roof line.

LED's are best if you don't mind the initial investment. Make sure that they are full wave lights 120hz. Here is a link to some of the vendors we buy from on a regular basis...http://www.highcountrylights.com/christmas-resources/pre-sale-info.html

Great link / info.

Thanks for sharing.

I use many retail LED's too, with good results.

Just stay away from the MSF's ( Martha Stewart LED's tend to burst into flames- so I've been told. So - Martha Stewart Flammers).

Welcome to this great hobby.

If the transmitter says "Whole House". Thats just what it means, whole house, but not yard too.

Bahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

And Max was being very generous and gracious.  If you're looking for a transmitter that can actually reach the street (not including how far you can throw it) there are better options. Go to Amazon and search for CZH-05B.

Edited by George Simmons

I use the EDM-RDS. A bit more costly but sure works nice. Nice to see someone else from this State. You are about two hours away from me. I use a lot of Target(Phillips), BigLots and etc..LED's. My megatrees though use Holiday Light Express LED's as I needed to insure they nice for the long term. Stay away from "Martha" lights avaiilable at Home Depot. With LED's, you get a real pretty little lights that really show off nice but power requirements are next to nil. Two controllers with all LED's and you could easily run off just one outlet. Since you are an electrician, power draw in amps is everything as you know. LED's draw almost nothing whereas incans draw a lot. Start with a photo of your house that you store on the computer as it'll become the background for the visualizer program too. Print out multiple copies and start drawing lights on it and how you wish to control them. This will dictate your hardware requirements. With two AC controllers, 32 channels, you can do a whole lot! The wisest thing you are doing is by starting now, at this time of the year to look, learn, acquire, fabricate and of course sequence.

And Max was being very generous and gracious.  If you're looking for a transmitter that can actually reach the street (not including how far you can throw it) there are better options. Go to Amazon and search for CZH-05B.

+1

+1

Yep +1 more,  Works Great.

I bought the Whole House before I found this forum and quickly found out it it worked barely in the room that it was in. 

I then bought the CZH-05B and quickly threw the other one away.  I could have sold The Whole House on E-bay as used only once but I have a conscious and didn't want someone mad at me.

• Like 1

I use the CZE-05B, it works extremely well. I can still tune in about 1/2 mile away... breaks up a little, but I know it definitely works outside my house :)

A new guy in my neighborhood just starting up, he too bought the WHT and it died on him after I think just a couple of days and yes, it was brand new. I didn't have a spare anything to loan him but I suggested the CZE-05B and he overnighted it. He was a happy camper real fast.

Edited by dgrant
  • Like 1

I keep one for spare just incase my Ramsey goes out.

Edited by Jeff Messer

LEDs have driven me insane! Oh I understand all the positive reasons for purchasing them.  But when one set costs as much as one channel and it doesn't last more than one season, it's infuriating.  Have fun trying to guarantee you'll get the same brilliance, especially if you can't find the same set the next year.  We still purchase LED lights, but in a pinch we will purchase the $1.99 mini-lights.  If something happens to those, we can toss them and not feel the loss.

I have the old gold Whole House Transmitter.  I wanted to get the new 2.0 version, but the reviews have been all over the board.  My unit can broadcast almost a mile away on cold, clear nights (not well but it's still amazing).  

When folks say you need to start planning by July, they are not kidding.  In fact, start today.  Don't let the scoffers keep you from starting to set up lights in late October, either.  You'll be glad you did when you have your show on full throttle the day after Thanksgiving when others are still trying to order controllers that don't exist.     :-)

When I started this past year I decided to dump all my ican and go with LEDs.  I'm glad I did.  I never had huge issues with the icans burning out, more or an issue with the colors fading/chipping after only a single season.  My LEDs don't seem to have that problem at all. 

I too started with a colonial house and 32 channels (and about 4000 lights).  Personally (with three young kids) I think it was the perfect jumping off point.  Some guys try to tackle more.  To each his own. . 

Getting an early start is key.  If you are going to LED I would think about using one of the online vendors for their winter sales (going on now).  I used HLE and I couldn't be happier.  Even if you have to use the free version of the sequence editor to get a start.