Light-O-Rama Forums

G3 Mp3 director

ebrown1972

For those of you who have used the g3 director with pixels how well did it work? Was there any lag? I planned on using my older lenovo laptop but I have some lag issues. I did just order some more ram for the laptop and hope that will take care of the lag but if not I will probably buy the g3 director unit. I do like the idea of just putting the director unit in an enclosure along with my transmitter and keeping it in the yard. I plan on sticking with LOR products and really have no plans on using a raspberry pi or non LOR products. Not for now anyway. Just looking for some input on those of you who have used the g3 director. Thanks.

I have been using the G3 MP3 Director for the last 2 years and it controls my entire show.  I have both CCBs and CCPs plus 12 LOR 16 channel controllers running off of it.  I use both the high speed and normal speed networks off of it.

It works great!  No complaints. 

Edited by wbaker4

Wbaker4,

How many rgb channels are you running? I have used the mini director in the past and it was easy to set up. How easy is the g3 director to set up? Is it easy to set up both the normal and high speed networks on it? Any info on set up would be great. I may try and buy one in the mad grab sale. Thanks.

You can only run lor products on the G3 not aftermarket pixels

Not true if you get the ELOR product from San Devices,.  It will let you control E1.31 protocol based devices from the G3-MP3 controller without needing a PC!  

I am working with that right now using a few E681 boards as well.

My setup currently uses 1 CCP setup and 2 CCB setups.  I will be hooking GE Color Effects lights to the E681 controllers.  I bought many Color Effects light sets a few years ago and plan to use them this year.

Edited by wbaker4

Let me see if I have this right. If I am using a g3 director and I have that connected to an ELOR I can then control an E681 and use different pixels and such other than Lor pixels? I am not sure if I understand this but am I on the right track?

The ELOR will connect to your LOR network and appear as a IDMX1000 device with four sets of 512 channels.  You can assign the ELOR a starting LOR ID like say 38.  It will consume a total of 4 LOR devices so it will appear as device 38, 39, 3A and 3B.  Each LOR channel is a 512 channel controller Starting at the DMX Universe you select.

From there you configure the outputs of your E682/E682 to operate with the configuration you set on the ELOR.

Edited by wbaker4

I ran 6 regular Lor PC 16 channel controllers, 4- ccp controllers, & a 12 ccr Matrix last year & without lag.  I have a Laptop that I bought for the show about 4 years ago that I never used. However it is there if I ever need it. I am for sure adding two more ccp controllers because I just received them this past Friday. I hope to add three more ccp controllers so I can have 9. 8 total  for the show with one as a spare. I also plan to add 4 more ccrs to the list so that I can have a 16 ccr tree. 

This year we shall see if there is lag. If there is then the Laptop or the desk top has a new job.

I thought I read that the Elor is good for 680 pixels. If true then you need to take that into consideration. 

Edited by lightzilla

Lightzilla,

Thanks for the reply. I have 64 regular LOR channels and have added 4 ccp controllers with the possibility of adding 2 more ccp controllers. From your post I should have no issues at all with the g3 director. I had changed the network speed in preferences to 500k and saw no lag with my laptop. I do believe I will purchase a g3 director and use my laptop as my backup too. I assume all of your ccp controllers and ccr matrix were on the same network correct? Thanks for the info.

I plan on running 11 controllers one one network and then 9 ccp's controllers "2700" channels on the other network. Using the g3mp3. Hope no lag. But I have computer and two rs485 just in case

Lightzilla,

I do believe I will purchase a g3 director and use my laptop as my backup too. I assume all of your ccp controllers and ccr matrix were on the same network correct? Thanks for the info.

Good idea for the 1st sentence & that is true my ccr Matrix & the pixel controllers were on Aux A at 500 speed. Remember this to that a Matrix is not the same as a ccr tree. When I have a drummer, a guitar player, & a piano player all up on the screen there are no morphs going on. When I do use morphs I use them with the drummer & they are quick, to the beat, & look pretty neat.  With the piano player I use song notes. With the guitar player I sometimes use Notes, or Morphs, but I use words too. So I believe this helped me not have lag. On the other hand I am going the ccr tree route this year & now I am sequencing totally different. There are more Morphs but I am still trying to do more images rather than Morphs.

• 5 months later...

When using the G3 Showtime Director, must the music be mp3 or will it also work with mp4 format?

Thank you!