Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB24 RGB Connectors

wbaker4

I had an issue with a few of the screw connectors on the CMB24 Board.  A few of them were stripped so I had to move the connections to a different channel.

San Devices on their boards such as the 681 and 682 have connectors where the plug and connector are separate.  If you strip a screw on the plug, you can replace the plug with a new one.  Plus making changes outdoors is a lot easier if a channel ends up going out on you.

So I replaced all of the connectors with similar style plugs and connectors.

Here is a photo of the board before the change.  You can see where I had to move the power for channel 3 and shared the connection with channel 4. 

0117151408.jpg

Here it is after the connectors were replaced...

0117151557B.jpg

And here with all of the plugs attached.

0117151558C.jpg

I wish LOR would change or offer an option.

Walt

Edited by wbaker4
  • Like 2

That would be a great modification for the CMB16D-QC also.  I hate those spades; it seems every year I have to crimp new connectors on wires since I change things up or move them around.  Also, I cringe every time I plug something onto one of those spades or remove it, afraid I will crack the board.  Perhaps some type of adapter board that could be connected once to the spades and forgotten about?

Can you enlighten us a little more on this great modification?

Where did you get the connectors and what are the part #'s?

This is another project for the 4 - 24 channel cards that I have and I think I will also build a header for the 3 - 16 channel cards that I have and redo all of my DC card inventory.

Cheers

Daryl B.

I ordered the parts from Mouser.com.  

Here are the part numbers and description of each.

651-1792773   Pluggable Terminal Blocks 5.08 4P PLUG 270DEG

651-1758034  Pluggable Terminal Blocks 4 Pos 5.08mm pitch Through Hole Header

Walt

For project challenged people like me can I ask how to get the old connection off and install this one. Is there any soldiering involved?

I sure like these connections much better!

Your soldering skills are needed - especially when removing the old connector.  The Power bus going to each connector is pretty large and sucks up a lot of heat.  You have to be careful not to apply too much heat when sucking the solder out of each pad. 

You need a descent solder sucker/vacuum and soldering iron.  A lot of patience and care go a long way.  You can easily damage the board and its components.

The connectors I used handle 12 amps - which is way more than is needed so you have to make sure all of the solder is out of the holes before you plug the headers in! 

Oh yes soldering, and I would like to know which de-soldering station the OP owns and if he would buy it again.  I need one for fixing a few things over the last couple of years, a wick of braid just does not do the job!

• The topic was locked