Light-O-Rama Forums

50 watt vs 10 watt RGB floods

Softball Shawn

This year I am going to add RGB floods and see the new 50 watt versions. Does anyone have any opinions on choosing the 10 watt or the 50 watt versions?

Here are two, 50w flood lights, placed pretty close to the house. (Image Link)

I don't have any night time pictures of the 10w lights. However, as you might expect they are going to be quite a bit dimmer. However, depending on what you are wanting to do, they may be the better choice.

10w floods will cover a smaller area but give you better chase effect using more of them to cover the space. 50w floods will cover more area but limit your chase effect because of less of them needed. It just depends on what your looking for. A whole house wash or a chase of wash, so to speak.

I needed two of the ten watt floods to light my two-car garage to the brightness I wanted. 

Has anyone used the 10 watters as strobes or pointing them toward the street as spots?

Has anyone used the 10 watters as strobes or pointing them toward the street as spots?

This is exactly what I was thinking about doing this year with the 10 watt  8 count set.  I would also like to hear what you all have at say.

Thanks George for asking!

Hey George,

I'm using 10 waters (RGB) toward the street. 15 of them in my arch and 15 of them on my mega tree tower.

IMG_3283_zps18611f83.jpg

IMG_3270_zps43c09305.jpg

IMG_3267_zpsda91a977.jpg

IMG_3265_zps56d92387.jpg

DSC05065_zpsbb8f6f7f.jpg

DSC05058_zpsc47f89f9.jpg

DSC05064_zps3441d4fd.jpg

DSC05057_zpsa657e17b.jpg

• Like 1

10 watt work well if the area around them is dark and light.  If the stuff you want highlighted is dark or middle and has much light at all, the 10 Watt floods don't do very much good unless you have lots of snow to reflect off of.

10 watt work well if the area around them is dark and light.  If the stuff you want highlighted is dark or middle and has much light at all, the 10 Watt floods don't do very much good unless you have lots of snow to reflect off of.

Do what??? Jerry, you lost me big time here.

Do What ????

bottom line.  10 watt floods Only work well in very dark areas against light backgrounds or on snow covered ground (reflection). 

beyond that you need higher power or lots of 10 Watt floods.

Lots of 10w floods give better chase effect.

50w is better for a large single wash with limited chase effect, in most residential situations.

On dark siding like red brick, neither will perform very well.

There is no bottom line on the 10w or 50w. Each situation and preference is different.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have a Nativity that I need to change the lighting on. In the past I used incandescent lights, then last year I used spots from Seasonal Entertainment with the idea that I could light up the different characters individually, but they just didn't seem to be bright enough. I had a spot behind Baby Jesus that I would turn on in white and then the spots in front would go blue as the song was ending. The spot in the back was about 16" away from the baby and you could barely tell that it was on.

Any way - if I were to get some RGB floods which would be best ones to use, the 10w or 50w? My guess is that the 50w would be to bright.

I still would like to light up some of the characters separately and don't necessarily want to flood the whole Nativity with the same light.

Looking for suggestions.

Craig

Edited by craigh

• The topic was locked