Light-O-Rama Forums

Transformer Question.

Brucen

I have a CTB16Cg3 new controller. Just used it for the first time the other night. I had 11 channels on LED 35 lights, and dedicated a 12th channel for 3 strings of 70 mini lights for a total of 210 total. I just opened up my box, and the paint on the transformer is burned off in places. LOR says it looks OK. Anyone else have the same issue? Just want to make sure I did not overload it.

Don't trust us (me) huh?

Let me ask you this: Is it still working?  The transformer does nothing but power the electronics on the board.  It has nothing to do with loads on the channels -- Which BTW, I told you in your ticket the number of lights doesn't mater, it's the amperage draw.

So, if the board powers up (the LED is either on flashing or solid), then the transformer is working just fine.

• Like 1

Mike is 100% correct.  Trust him.. The transformer is only used to derive the low voltage section of the control circuit.  The only thing that sees the load (lights) are the triacs, the dongles, the fuse and the PCB traces, which are isolated from the low voltage section.  . 

Transformers are really just a few coils of copper wire. If they go bad, the internal insulation burns off and the copper melts / welds together. So a transformer either works, or it doesn't.

In other words, if it still has the magic smoke inside of it, you're good to go.

Mike,

Please don't ever think I would not trust you!! Just want to make sure everything is OK. I get kind of anal about stuff sometimes. Scared me because I try to do all the right things. You guys are the best. And there will be lots of questions. Sorry. Plasma, once again I thank you too. Can't wait to do my Mini New Year's eve show... I wish you both a HAPPY NEW YEAR, and can't wait till I can add on to my stuff.....

BRUCE.......

• The topic was locked