Light-O-Rama Forums

power bleed in one channel

Scooch

I have one chanell that seems to have a power bleed when not on. By that I mean that there is some power getting to the lights, leaving part of the string glowing faintly. The channel still works in the sequencing as programmed.

I assume you are using LED's?  Is your controller is an older one, Version one or two?  Sounds like you have a bad Triac. You may want to open a help ticket with LOR.

The triacs are the 3-legged square black devices along each edge of your controller (8 on a side .. assuming a 16 channel controller) screwed to your heat sink.

Technically it is a electronic device for switching Alternating Current.

I had one do exactly the same thing this year.

If your controller is still under warranty, then as Ralph suggested, open a ticket with LOR.

If not and you are comfortable desoldering and soldering components, you can order replacement triacs from somewhere like Mouser or Digikey.

I ordered from Mouser

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=BTA16-600BWRGvirtualkey51120000virtualkey511-BTA16-600BW

10 pcs with shipping was $19.89 - I ordered 10 just becasue some of my controllers are getting older and wanted to have some spares on hand.

Hope this helps...

Bob

Edited by bob_moody

• The topic was locked