Light-O-Rama Forums

Which USB adapter?

drivemewilder

With all my CCR's and CCP's, I am currently running 2 networks.  I plan on expanding the CCP/B's and am considering changing out at least one of the USB adapters to either the high speed adapter or the adapter with booster.  Which one is recommended? I read the description of each, the HS adapter talked about different speeds which to me wasn't written in English!

Prior to version 3.9 the fastest the data could travel across the wire was a 57.6. It was determined that this slow speed limit was causing bottle necks in traffic, so the speed limit was raised to 500. However, the current roadway couldn't handle 500, so a new roadway was built. That new roadway is the USB485-HS adapter. Without it, your current infrastructure (road/networks/etc) won't be able to handle the 500 speed.

With the 57.6 speeds no more than 6 CCR's could be on the road at any given time. With 500 speeds, you can have anywhere from 12-24 (and sometimes more!) on the road at once.

(How's that for English? Any easier to understand?

Don, you are da man! Perfect English!  I understand now!  I don't recall what version I have, I think 3.8.  So if I don't upgrade (probably will, but lets assume I don't) and I keep 3.8....I should get the HS adapter. Correct?  And with it, I can put my 6CCR tree on it and all other elements (less than 6CCR of data) on one of my regular adapters.

Okay I lied, big time! I'm using version 3.11.2 advanced. I went into network preferences when I right clicked on LOR, and saw that my speed is 57.6. Is the speed that low because my computer is about seven years old? Is there a way to speed it up? Will the high-speed adapter work?

The speed of the computer shouldn't matter here. It's the speed of the network setting. If you were to change that 57.6 to 500k, and use a USB485-HS, you would have done everything needed to run 500k.

While you're waiting for the HS adaptor, you can bump up to 115K and that should iron out a few kinks if you're seeing lags and hiccups during your show. 

• Like 1

Alright Don and George...I appreciate your help.  I did bump it up to 115K and that helps a ton!  Probably still going to get the HS adaptor since I will be adding more pixels, but this helped tremendously!

I have been assisting a friend trouble-shooting some issues with his controllers and verified that the new, high-speed adapters do work fine at low speed.  So I would suggest anyone considering new adapters, look at the purchase of the high-speed versions.

• The topic was locked