Light-O-Rama Forums

It was bound to happen

dgrant

After a very good night outside and lots of cars, happy kids and their parents, I go outside this morning and find that someone decided to remove three of my Christmas trees. Two mini-trees and one 6 foot. Even though I'm upset that this happened here in this very nice neighborhood, I'm glad they didn't walk off with a controller(s). True shame that someone has to ruin things for others. I replaced the missing trees already this morning so the show will go on! But, now spending for a security camera(s) to try to watch for other problem people.

Well the best revenge is that you where able to recover and they did not hurt your show. Its like what they did didnt even happen.  I got a few cameras and would like to have a few more. They also help monitor the front door and any dropped off packages from UPS or others. Seems that package thefts are going up.

I'm very pleased they didn't take the controllers either. The lady of the house's daughter has been doing something about this show on Facebook, which I don't do. Since discovering the rip-off yesterday morning, she says the people on FB are very upset about this and its nearly going viral. One person on there even kindly offered one of his trees to replace one of mine that was taken. Others have said in there that they are looking for them and will find those responsible.

Nothing worse than a thief. I am glad they didn't take your controllers cause they would be impossible to replace this late in the season. We run 1/4 inch cable through everything and also use fake cameras that are pretty obvious to see and many more that are hidden. It sucks to have to think about theft but that's the world these days. For Xmas I put the green laser sight on the glock, don't let me catch you stealing...

I ordered cameras but they are real. The first one will arrive here tomorrow and the other two later this week. They'll be running as fast as I can connect them

I would love to witness someone stealing one of my trees.

I think that they would give up quickly. The wind is so bad blowing over the mountain that I had to make stands.

My stands are two 80# bags of quickcrete and a few shovels full of rock, they are close to 200 pounds. Then my trees are bolted tightly to a 1.5 inch steel pipe with rebar through the bottom in the concrete.

I don't like moving them myself, but on the windiest days, my trees are planted solid.

Someday I will do cameras, mainly to see if I need to go hand out candy canes.

I just hope the fools are happy with themselves. Someday, it'll happen to them at which time, I hope they remember taking from me.

Karma has a way of Biting the dogma! I know where I live, if you set foot on the property, you might just have a pistol in your face (I live in the country where things are handled a little differently. :)   )

Unbelieveable.   It's sad when we spend the time, not to mention the money, to do something special to help people realize the importance of a holiday like Christmas and they simply see our endeavor as an opportunity for a "snatch and grab"  boast. 

Hopefully, they'll take the time to think abou this and have a change of heart.

Wish you the best.

Schwazche

Edited by schwazche

I have one camera mounted and running for two nights. I've received and configured the other two and will mount them today. Sort of hoping the people come back who took the trees, looking for the sunglasses they dropped! Apparently the stolen tree issue made it to facebook and is going wild in this area. Lots of people heard about it and they "looking for them". I too think it was just a "boasting" type thing as the trees had no bases. They were tied to rebar, staked in the ground. They lifted them off the rebar and removed disconnnected the plugs. I didn't report it to the Police since they have better things to do than look for 3 stolen Christmas trees which won't be found anyway.

Sorry to learn about your trees, It's always good to report any stolen property or vandalism to police, so they can track tends and increase patrols. I have cameras, LOR IR sensors on my singing trees and signs posted with video monitoring verbiage. Also, everything is bolted down with 1/4" chains secured to props. I live in a city with a high concentrations of gangs. Last Holloween, our neighborhood was vandalized that caused many thousands of dollars damage to property. I've now noticed police patrols have increased.

I hear you. I retired from out there and moved here a few years ago. Yes, if I was out there doing this, my display would be totally secured as much as possible. The neighborhood here is very safe or lets say, safer. One of the Judge's, lives four doors away. Police Sgt down the street farther and many other high-powered people. Since this is a smaller community, I'm sure the Police have already heard about it. I know the County Sheriff's Dept has heard about it. Out here, someone rips off Walmart, their picture/video goes up on the news! Yes, it happens for everywhere out here. 

what type of cameras did you get? I've had a few minor things go missing and would like to get some security cameras. thanks and it sucks we have bad apples like this in the communities.

I bought three, two different flavors of external IP cams...Foscam F19805W and two HooToo HT-I{1212's. Both types have been a pain to configure since they are IP cameras, therefore only power is needed to run them. They do not PTZ (Pan, Tilt, Zoom) and both types auto switch to IR mode in low ligh conditions. I'll be hanging the two HooToos shortly.

I came home from work monday and my gate was open....none of the display was disturbed but my dog was missing, three days later the dog showed up on the back porch. It isnt like the dog to roam so i think someone either stole him or let him out and he got away from his captors and came home.

But either way ive had a camera and dvr system for years i never installed, i guess ill be putting it up this weekend