Light-O-Rama Forums

Spiral Tree

Colefitch12

This was my 1st light o rama year and it was very well received by the town, so now I am already looking forward to next year.

I really would like to create a spiral tree for next year. I have watched a few videos on YouTube on how to construct them but if anyone has any blue prints or tips I would be open to those as well!!

I am completely lost on how to sequence the tree. Does anyone have any examples the could send me or tips?

Thank you

Colefitch12@gmail.com

Sequencing a spiral tree is basically the same as doing a straight mega tree.  (Or just about any type of chase, for that matter.)  It's just way more rewarding than a boring regular mega tree.

• Like 1

Check out this video. This is what I used and it worked well. I built 2, 16 channel trees, at a cost of about $50. each, not including lights. If you do a search, you can find sample sequences to give you an idea how to program it and what effects are possible.

http://forums.lighto...ame#entry292364

I did two megatrees, both identically spiraled, 32 strings of multis on each, so there's $400 in lights on each too. In my case, I spiral 16 strings one direction then alternate 16 strings the other direction. To save money on controllers since I'm using two, the second tree has no controllers but electrically connected to the first tree with 32 extension cords, plus one extra for my light ball on top of both. But, the second tree is electrically backwards to the first tree...this way they dance backwards of each other which creates a cool effect. Lots of good comments about them.

I did two megatrees, both identically spiraled, 32 strings of multis on each, so there's $400 in lights on each too. In my case, I spiral 16 strings one direction then alternate 16 strings the other direction. To save money on controllers since I'm using two, the second tree has no controllers but electrically connected to the first tree with 32 extension cords, plus one extra for my light ball on top of both. But, the second tree is electrically backwards to the first tree...this way they dance backwards of each other which creates a cool effect. Lots of good comments about them.

dtrant,

How do you wire get them to be electrically backwards?  I'm sure this is so simple I'm just missing it...

No, actuallly, 16 strings are wrapped one direction and alternating 16 strings the other direction, on each tree. Both of the trees are identical. However, I run them from two 16-channel AC controllers so both trees are commanded identically but....the SPT1 extension cords from one to the other, I connect to the opposite wrap. So the example is channel 1 goes to the first string, clockwise but the second megatree, it goes to the first counter-clockwise string. They are the same, but backwards. The result is that they dance to each other for the cost of just one pair of controllers.