Light-O-Rama Forums

My ELL just up and died.

plasmadrive

This morning I was assessing any storm related issues and my only failure was an ELL.  Not sure why it failed.  It is dry, the power was off during the storm.  when I fired everything back up.. no lights on the front lawn area from the LOR network. 

Replaced it with a spare and on we go.

No LEDs lit on the inside. Not a cable or an RJ45 issue...

Plasmadrive,

After reading your post and having experienced the rath from the same storm as you. I checked my ELL yesterday afternoon after everything dried out and was fearful to learn if I had experienced the same failure. Luckily it still worked and I've now placed a plastic bag over the ELL to prevent water entry from future rain storms. Also, I'll purchase another set of ELL's for backup at the next LOR sale.

Sorry to learn about your failure but it taught me a lesson to have a backup and to add an umbrella over the ELL.

Yeah, sorry for your failure but it also taught me as well.  I have spares for everything except my ELLs and my USB485s.  I'll be getting back ups during the sale as well!

Well I opened up my ELL and it was not even damp.. iI mount all of them in open air so they all see the weather and this was the very first time I have had any issues with any of them.  I have no idea why it died..

So here is the kicker.. I applied for an RMA from LOR.. they got back to me and wanted some more info before they issued it.  Not a problem.. but just for yucks I thought I would try it again on the bench to see if it was something simple.. well guess what.. the LEDs came on and the HU was able to talk to it.. I have no idea what happened or why it died and then came back to life.  Like I said, there was no water or moisture in it of any kind that I could see.  I even tried both jacks but could not get the LEDs to light.. I used the same cable for the spare ELL and it worked fine, so it wasn't that..

Weird.. very weird..

Could be a temp. sensitive component or flaky solder joint since your cables were the same ones when previously tested when it failed. Intermittent failures are always the toughest ones to find in electronic devices.

Some time during my show tonight.. I had my second ELL failure.  This has never happened before.. I need to find the cause.. when the show closes in a few minutes I am going to see what I can find.   I don't know when this one failed.. I went out to greet cars and it took me a few minutes to realize half the show was not playing..  How embarrassing. 

The first one that failed started working again the next day.. at least with the HU.. I have not tried it on the show yet.. I may have to now.. My last spare is out there working like a dog keeping my show alive..

ALWAYS HAVE SPARES! 

Edited by plasmadrive

Plasma, there must be an ELL ghost this year! Not trying to hack your thread, but I'll be troubleshooting mine next week when the show comes down for the year.

You know, this could be as simple as RF interference.  With the growth rate of personal mobile devices and other unlicensed devices (wireless microphones, etc.) it could be that there are things operating in the 902 MHz ISM band that are interfering with you.  This interference can come and go based on weather or a drive by or someone turning sometthing on or off.  RF is a curious beast.

Just thinking out loud..........

You know, this could be as simple as RF interference.  With the growth rate of personal mobile devices and other unlicensed devices (wireless microphones, etc.) it could be that there are things operating in the 902 MHz ISM band that are interfering with you.  This interference can come and go based on weather or a drive by or someone turning sometthing on or off.  RF is a curious beast.

Just thinking out loud..........

Not so much possible to completely shut the power off of an ELL with a weak RF signal from at least 60' away (the distance to the road).  Per my OP, "No LEDs lit inside". 

That's true.  I don't have an ELL so I didn't know what the LED indications might mean.  No power, compltely different problem.

Good luck........

That's true.  I don't have an ELL so I didn't know what the LED indications might mean.  No power, compltely different problem.

Good luck........

That was only the first one.. the second one that died did have an LED lit but not the one that shows data coming in.. Both seem to work on the HU.. one actually works in the field again.  I am still clueless as to the cause.. But this is year number four with ELLs and these have been the only two issues other than a bad jack on one and that was most likely due to a yank on the cable.. I think..