Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie needs help!

cbolstad

This is my second year of the wonders of LOR and this year I added another box and am running two boxes or 32 channels.   I am running on an older computer that seemed to work fine last year but last night the computer did not  "wake up" to start my show.   When I woke the computer up by moving the mouse it seemed to function properly for the rest of evening.  I am using simple show builder.  

Am I missing something very obvious?

thanks in advance for your help,

Chuck

Is the computer set to go to sleep or hibernate when inactive?  If either of those is the case, then the processor is not operating and can't do much.

The general suggestion for show computers is to disable all screen savers, power saving modes, hard drive or monitor shut down, and anti-virus software.  Unless you need it internet connected, disable or unplug it's internet connection.

• Like 1

What is Homer Simpson's line DOUH!  I will double check all those items!   Thanks for the help... hopefully my show can continue.  I cannot tell you how disappointed I was driving home to a DARK display..   The neighbors probably thought I had changed into the Grinch or maybe they were happy???

Seasons best,

Chuck

Good idea to do all Windows (and other) updates before the start of the season then disconnect from the Internet.

Nothing worse than having people watch your show and Windows decides to reboot because!

I do updates, AV updates and so on, in the mornings, then shut it down till needed later in the afternoon. Then before I power it up, I disconnect from the internet, then power up, then disable the Antivirus. This way, no unexpected surprises. Also, I don't mess with it when the show is running as mouse clicks might send the mouse clicks or responses to the transmitted audio.

you disable all sounds as well. go into power saving mode and set it to turn off the screen after an hour but nothing else. Windows updates mess with things as well unplugging it from the internet is definitely the way to go. I took parts I had lying around from other computers built a machine that's dedicated to the show. I was thinking of a Showtime director but the cheaper way to go with the DMX was having a dedicated machine

Yeah, I built my show computer from leftover parts the lady of the house found one morning when someone in the neighborhood set the parts out for trash. Put in power supply, hard drive, new video card for two monitors, XP and started it up! Yes, lots of configurations, software updates and etc...but it runs nice.

Thanks to all the kind and generous people who responded with help on this topic.   I do have  an old computer on my LOR boxes.  It worked great last year and now that I have followed the sage advice it has worked flawlessly for 2 nights and I see no reason it should go back to mis-behaving.   Holiday greetings to all!

Chuck

• The topic was locked