Light-O-Rama Forums

ELL losing conectivity at a specific show spot

Oliver Blatt

UPDATE: Because I have to use ELLs for a Halloween show, I dug everything out to start running tests back at the end of September, and I was having all sorts of connection problems again, including an incrediblly short reception range (we're talking less than 20' line of sight and even then the connection was spotty at best).

After much troubleshooting and a lengthy help desk ticket, I think I've finally figured out the issue.

At first I thought it was a bad ELL, so I changed out the cables on the ELLs, that didn't solve the problem. Then I thought it was a bad cable running from the computer to the first controller, so I replaced that cable, and things seemed better. Not good, but better. Today, I attempted to run the show based on the last configuration I used (IE, the same cables, controllers, distance between ELLs, etc) and nothing worked again. So I spent the afternoon troubleshooting again.

I think the issue all along has been a bad jack on the one controller. I never thought this was the issue before, because I could feed data into the controller with either jack and it would receive commands just fine, but I suspect (and I don't know how the ELLs are wired/powered) that there is a bad joint not on a contact that provides data to the unit, but on a joint that provides power to the ELL.

Long story short, I swapped out a different controller, and it seems that everything is VERY happy right now. I'm back to transmitting through walls, 30 feet between ELLs and everything has been rock solid. I'll keep you posted on how the actual event goes, but I think we're back in business!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...