Light-O-Rama Forums

Standard Christmas Lights (LED)

MikeSD

I got my LOR1602W controller and checked it out and all seems to be working fine.  Software is working and seems pretty straight forward.  I just tested it using standard incandescant bulp for load.  Now it's time to try something else.

I haven't purchased any other LOR products yet so was planning to use this, initially on our existing display that consists of  standard Christmas light strings that can be purchased at most stores.  These are a mixture of incandescant and LED (LED mostly I think).

* Are there any precautions I need to consider, with LED lights?

* Are there any odd behavior when using non LOR LED lights, with this controller (LOR1602W)?

* Any safety concerns?

Thanks,

Edited by MikeSD

IMO just buy LED's and make sure they're full wave. Incans are nice, they suck up alot more juice but you might want to include some in your display for variety. There is no LOR LED's as far as I know of. There is LOR RGB lights tho. Wait until the pre sales start in the new year and get from the vendors and grab some cheap ones from the boxing day sales too!

As oilmoney stated, full wave rectified is what you want for LED's.  I have not had luck with LED's from local retail stores.  They work OK until they dim.  Then its a flicker. Very annoying.  Buy full wave rectified in the offseason.  Holiday-Light-Express.com and other online vendors offer great pricing in the offseason. 

Creative Displays Inc is another vendor that sells full wave lights. Their sale is usually for the month of Jan.

If you do decide to do other LED's, stay away from Martha Stewart ones [typically purchased @ Home Depot]. I've had good luck with the Phillips ones [typically found @ Target]. If you can wait for the sale, I'd recommend getting the full wave though. Price for price, it's about the same, perhaps a smidge more but the quality is much nicer.

• The topic was locked