Light-O-Rama Forums

cant get 4th controller to work

dearal

controllers 1, 2, 3, work fine.  When i plug in 4th it freezes up controller 3 and 4th wont work either. I have tried to link 2 to 4 and it does the same thing to 2.  What could be wrong with #4.  I am new to this and wnat to get whole display up an d running.  Thanks in advance

Alvin

Alvin,

Did you assign different unit ID'S to your controllers? If not you need to. Do one controller at a time.

Also check the wire fingers of the RJ45 connectors in the controller. They can become depressed and not retract enough to make contact with the Cat5/6 cable, causing problems. Any one or more will do this. If you find them this way, use a very tiny pair of tweezers and very, very gently, pull them up. Do not distort them in any way. Plug in by itself to the HWU and test again.

You can run multiple controllers with the same ID. Only one will show up in HWU but both will work.

Earl makes a good point .. The basic license supports 2 controllers addressed at '01' and '02'. the Basic-Plus supports 4 controllers addressed at '01', '02', '03' and '04' (which I am guessing yours has to be at least Basic-Plus since you are seeing 3 controllers) . Standard (supports 8 controllers) and Advanced (unlimited) don't make mention of specific controller ID numbers.

+++

it could very possibly one of your cables and oddly enough its possible its not the one you think it would be...

I ran in to a similar issue this year ...

I plugged in controller 1,2 and 3 for the porch portion of our display .. Tested it .. ran sequences on it and it worked perfectly.

Later when I set up the yard, I brought a cable out of box 3 over to box 4, 4 over to 5 and 5 to box 6/7.

What was solid red lights on the controller started blinking. So unplugged back to what I knew worked.

Add cable from 3 to 4 ... solid light... good ..

Add cable from 4 to 5 ... solid light... good

Add cable from 5 to (6&7) .... blinking lights.... NOT good ..

So .. has to be the cable from 5 to 6/7 ... right ??? Nope..

To make a long story short (to late...) ..

The bad cable was actually between box 1 and 2 ...

Believe me .. I made new cables .. checked for here to there and back.. and when I finally started bypassing devices I located the cable .. replaced it .. all controller lights went solid and we are in business... .

Bob

Edited by bob_moody

Sorry for the late reply.  Unit 1 & 2 are plastic residential and assigned respectively.   3 & 4 are not assigned but are set on dials to 3 & 4 respectively.  All of the rj45 connectors look the same and not bent.  When i bought the software i believe it is standard but don't know how to tell.    When all 4 hooked up outside 1, 2, & 3 show solid red light and 4 blinks and 3 and 45 freeze . Also with all 4 hooked up hardware will only detect the first 2 residential ones # 1 & 2. With just 1, 2, & 3 everything works fine except only the first 2 can be detected also.  When i bring 4 back into the shop and hook it up alone it works fine. Solid light and  and all channels work with lights plugged in..It just wont play fair with the the other 3.  I have replaced all of the cat cable except the one from 1 to 2 that was the new green one that i bought from LOR this summer.  SCREEMINGGGGGG GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR  HELP PLEASE

• The topic was locked